Wc redfoot photos.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all.
I wanted to open a thread for members to load photos of wild caught redfoot torts. Does anyone have any photos of juvenile wild redfoot torts? So please post your wc photos here.
Does anyone have cb reds that are as smooth as wild torts. Photos please.

Thank you.

Craig.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Here's mine, I got her from Tortiose supply and was originally wild caught I believe
Nice tort. Splitty too. So what do you know about her history? What is her SCL now and what was her SCL when you got her? Do you know how long she has been in captivity?
Not doubting you at all, is she 100% wc?
Sorry for all the questions. :D

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Thanks! And not sure I'll find out though! And I just got her recently, I can tell though she's a bit more cautious then my captive redfoot that I have!

SouthernRFT

Here are some of mine from Venezuela sold as farm bred no clue how long they have been around people but they are all very friendly and will come up to you looking for food.

I have a female from Guyana with slight pyramiding and her shell is flared out in the back. Very different from the rest.
IMG_4468.JPG IMG_4494.JPG

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here are some of mine from Venezuela sold as farm bred no clue how long they have been around people but they are all very friendly and will come up to you looking for food.

I have a female from Guyana with slight pyramiding and her shell is flared out in the back. Very different from the rest.
View attachment 146648 View attachment 146649

How long have you had the redfoots? They do not look farm bred.
Do you have a picture of the Guyana female with the flared carapace?
The tortoise in the middle of the second picture is not a redfoot
It's a yellowfoot, Chelonoidis denticulatus.
By the way, split scutes occur often in the wild.

SouthernRFT

I thought split scutes were far less common in wild specimens my mistake

Less than a month I have had them.

I am sure they are wild caught and passed off as farm bred.

Also yes that is the only yellowfoot I have so I have not bothered to build a separate enclosure even though he easily out competes the redfoots in every way so I plan to do so soon.

I will get a picture of the Guyana female and would like to know if you have seen one like her. Thanks

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, you are right in the sense that split scutes occur much more under artificial incubation in captivity.
But they also occur with some frequency in the wild.
The yellowfoot is a very nicely colored healthy specimen. As a matter of fact, they all look healthy and thriving.
I would love to see a picture of the Guyana female and be glad to let you know what I think.
"Everyone has a right to my opinion".
In my experience specimens from Suriname have more flared carapaces.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

View attachment 146648 View attachment 146649
They look gorgeous. Can see the yellow foot is totally different in appearance to the reds. So as far as you are aware, these guys were farm bred and not WC, but you have suspicions to that info? What sort of SLC are these guys? Thanks for sharing.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So what makes you think they are wc and not farm bred?
Also can you help me picture a farm for breeding torts, what are they like? Is it just a mass of land with huge pens, full of torts.
Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
RF are bred all over south Florida, but mostly down in Dade county. southern Miami.
The two I've dealt with just have about a 1/4 acre plot with boarded walls, a few watering troughs and not much else. My two big females Ruby and Bertha are x-breeders from a guy that kept 48 together.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So what makes you think they are wc and not farm bred?
Also can you help me picture a farm for breeding torts, what are they like? Is it just a mass of land with huge pens, full of torts.
Thanks

Farm bred tortoises are generally not held until they are that size. They are sold before maintenance and shipping costs become prohibitive.
Wild caught tortoises are still profitable. There are no maintenance costs. They are just rounded up and boxed for transport.
Farm bred tortoises still bear the shell development signs and other evidence of rearing
on whatever junk can be thrown into their holding areas to keep them alive until pickup.
The tortoise farms are shoestring operations.
They are sometimes just fronts for collection and sale of wild caught animals.
I thought Venezuela had export restrictions in place.
But we don't know where the Venezuelan tortoises were shipped from.
Often they are transported across ill-defined national borders to central shipping sites with less oversight.

You can look up Santa Rita Tortoise Farm on the internet. They are a redfoot breeding
operation with a good website loaded with pictures.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Farm bred tortoises are generally not held until they are that size. They are sold before maintenance and shipping costs become prohibitive.
Wild caught tortoises are still profitable. There are no maintenance costs. They are just rounded up and boxed for transport.
Farm bred tortoises still bear the shell development signs and other evidence of rearing
on whatever junk can be thrown into their holding areas to keep them alive until pickup.
The tortoise farms are shoestring operations.
They are sometimes just fronts for collection and sale of wild caught animals.
I thought Venezuela had export restrictions in place.
But we don't know where the Venezuelan tortoises were shipped from.
Often they are transported across ill-defined national borders to central shipping sites with less oversight.

You can look up Santa Rita Tortoise Farm on the internet. They are a redfoot breeding
operation with a good website loaded with pictures.
Well, that site was an eye opener. Very interesting. Do you know roughly how much they sell them for.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
View attachment 146770 View attachment 146771 View attachment 146772

Here is the flared if you will carapace in the rear on the right. Really wish she didn't have the pyramiding. View attachment 146773

I have one just like her with the flare from Suriname. They are flattened and lower to the ground than the Guayanans.
According to some sources, they have a more snake-like head profile. I find this to hold true as well.
They also tend to have more sculpted shells and attain greater size.
She does not look that pyramided to me. In fact she looks very nice.
Why do you think she is from Guyana and do you have a picture from the front and plastron?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, that site was an eye opener. Very interesting. Do you know roughly how much they sell them for.

I don't remember how they were priced. But I do know they were only sold to importers in lots of 50. So every once in awhile you would see a fresh lot
of 4, 5 and 6 inch cherryheads come in. I personally "cherry" picked my currently ten inch female from a batch of about 35 animals in 2001.
Their gender was discernible even at those small sizes. I had three picked out but only took the one to my profound regret as I later tried to replace
a longterm captive male that died.

SouthernRFT

I have one just like her with the flare from Suriname. They are flattened and lower to the ground than the Guayanans.
According to some sources, they have a more snake-like head profile. I find this to hold true as well.
They also tend to have more sculpted shells and attain greater size.
She does not look that pyramided to me. In fact she looks very nice.
Why do you think she is from Guyana and do you have a picture from the front and plastron?
I bought her from someone who stated they were from a Guyana farm import. It is possible she was obtained elsewhere before being placed at the Guyana farm. I didn't think her head looked any different but I can supply those pics in the next few days. I really would like to find a nice yellowfoot female/s.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I bought her from someone who stated they were from a Guyana farm import. It is possible she was obtained elsewhere before being placed at the Guyana farm. I didn't think her head looked any different but I can supply those pics in the next few days. I really would like to find a nice yellowfoot female/s.

To my knowledge, there are no Guyana farming operations. They are all wild caught and collected.
Guyana and Venezuela share a border. I find that the Guayanan and Venezuelan animals are similar.
Suriname and Guyana share a border so it has always been a question why their respective redfoots should be so different in form.

Yellowfoot females are readily available. I'm sure you can find one.

SouthernRFT

Keeping my eyes out for some nicely colored female yellowfoots. Domalle please share some photos of your tortoises if you can. I'll get a front and Plastron photo of that female over the weekend. I double checked with the seller and she is a long term captive imported out of Guyana not a farm bred.