Bolivian redfoots.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all.

Does anyone have photos of the Bolivian redfoot please? I'm trying to learn and Wade my way through identifying all the different red localities. The Bolivian seems to be the least popular. I've looked at old threads and can't get photos to load. There's some random photos on the web but prefer to hear from you guys. (That way I know the info is correct).

Cheers.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
The Bolivians seem to be one of the most desired of the northerns and more expensive. Because of their desirability and rarity it has created the problem that some unscrupulous breeders will dilutethe Bolivian line with say Venezuelan or Colombian if they don't have a matching pair and sell at the top dollar price of a Bolivian. I am not that familiar with the Bolivians but I know that their plastrons should be mostly solid dark. None of the flecks like the cherries. Did your Turtles and Tortoises book arrive as yet? There is a good example of the Bolivian plastron. Good luck finding a pure line. I know they are hard to find here in the states.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The Bolivians seem to be one of the most desired of the northerns and more expensive. Because of their desirability and rarity it has created the problem that some unscrupulous breeders will dilutethe Bolivian line with say Venezuelan or Colombian if they don't have a matching pair and sell at the top dollar price of a Bolivian. I am not that familiar with the Bolivians but I know that their plastrons should be mostly solid dark. None of the flecks like the cherries. Did your Turtles and Tortoises book arrive as yet? There is a good example of the Bolivian plastron. Good luck finding a pure line. I know they are hard to find here in the states.
Yeah, my book arrived. Not read it all yet, too busy. As far as I am aware Bolivians are much larger and have the very dark plastrons. I read something the other day saying some have yellow plastrons too.
I was kind of hoping there was some owners out there to show us the distinct differences between Bolivians and northerns.
Be nice to have a pure line of Bolivians. One can dream. :D.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I'll have to dig up photos of em. Pretty easy. They have black plastrons and are round basically. But southern giant cherry heads can also display the roundness too. But the plastrons aren't solid black. Nice red-dark orange heads and scales too. I'll get you some pics uploaded.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Just found this old thread. All I can say is
"WOW".

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bolivian-adult-picts.2880/#post-25567

jbrass

Lenoir City, TN
Hi all.

Does anyone have photos of the Bolivian redfoot please? I'm trying to learn and Wade my way through identifying all the different red localities. The Bolivian seems to be the least popular. I've looked at old threads and can't get photos to load. There's some random photos on the web but prefer to hear from you guys. (That way I know the info is correct).

Cheers.
yes, I have one

Attachments

• IMG_1623.JPG
    IMG_1623.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 21

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I NEED to get a few hours and get over to TROPIC PLANTS in Tamarac.
They have what I believe to be BOLIVIAN just because of the sheer size. Twice as large as my largest ever Redfoot.
They have four.
They are quite old.
I already promised @Redfoot NERD that I'd get photos.
I'll do so this week and also see what information I can get from the owners of that nursery.

MikeT307

Florida
I was going to try to make it over to see the redfoots at tropic plants last weekend but the kids were driving me nuts and it would have been another 1.5 hours from Homestead to Tamarac. Photos would be great if you are able to swing by and share them.

MikeT307

Florida
At about what age/size does the darker plastron become visible on the Bolivian tortoises?