watery eyes

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sulcatas are sometimes referred to as the crying tortoise. In their native land, when they get too hot, their eyes water to help cool them down. You might double check your temperatures. If he's outside, make sure he has shady places and water.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
It has been hot here and I did not change the heat or lights. I put him in his water soaker and he sat there f or three hours. Wow. Never has he done that. Usually 30 min average. Thank you all.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Sulcatas are sometimes referred to as the crying tortoise. In their native land, when they get too hot, their eyes water to help cool them down. You might double check your temperatures. If he's outside, make sure he has shady places and water.
Yvonne I have always wondered about Aldabra and Galapagos tortoise tortoise eyes. They seem to always have a little white foam in their eyes. Is this a similar phenomenon?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Aldabs often have a dab of white foam in the corner of their eyes. It happens in the winter too, so I don't think it has to do with heat, but I don't know what it's from. Maybe too dry, as that is a chronic problem in my Aldab habitat.