WaterBased radiated floor heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
I am in the process of planning/building an extravagant enclosure for my 2 year old red foot.

One of the ideas I had was to use get a small water heater and run hot water under the floor to heat up the enclosure, similiar to a heated floor system. It would be hooked up to a thermostat obviously and I plan on having an "upper deck" area so he would be able to get away from the floor if needed.

He has a basking spot now and never really uses it so I am not worried about that.

I know some people have used the heat cables before and have had some success but has anyone tried to use a water based system? Or does anyone have some reasons of how it would be bad?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 1/2 inch copper tubing run in the floor of Walkers (sulcata) house, I put it in during construction just in case he needed the extra heat source. I have a 4 gal hot water heater and circulating pump with hot water plastic tubing to hook to the copper. The good thing is I have never needed to use it, but it's there if needed. Since I built his house I came across 2 of those instant hot water heaters and may opt to use one of those instead of the small hot water heater if and when he needs more heat.If you decide to do this just make sure you have an accurate diagram of the placement of the tubing so as to not hit it with a screw or nail when putting the floor down. Walkers house is 8x8 ft.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
What did you use for your flooring? I was thinking of getting that plywood that has the grooves already cut in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.