Radiant under floor heating caution

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just wanted to give an update on what I have found out about this type of heating. I have been planning on using this in my torts garage. I also remember a few other members mentioning that they too were thinking about it.
After talking to one of the salesman of the ThermoSoft brand electric radiant floor heating systems, I am reconsidering. First it won't be enough heat on its own to heat their area in the dead of winter. I knew this, however, I figured it would do better then the "maybe" 50 degrees the salesman said it would "maybe" do. Second, when the torts lay on it, it can heat up under them above the set temperature and possibly burn them and could burn out the wires, which of course would burn out the whole system. It supposedly wouldn't start a fire.
I asked about putting one of those open weave type rubber floor mats on top of the floor, giving air space between the torts and the heated floor. He said, yes, that "might" work.
Just to be clear, this is the type of heating that does not get glued or mortared down. You just lay it down, tape the seams together and lay any of the listed floorings below. This heating is also not suppose to be put under any flat surfaces you may have in your house, like book cases, entertainment centers, etc.
Laminate flooring
Engineered wood
Floating/glue-down
Snap lock tiles

I don't know yet, if the heating system that is glued or mortared down has the same cautions or not. I didn't want to go with that kind, as it's less DIY friendly. However, I will now be looking into it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has always been in the back of my mind to have a cement floor with copper tubing running through the cement and a solar-powered water heater to heat the water in the tubing. Pipe dream.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks for posting this. I have often wished could have radiant floor heating. It makes sense that it is a lot different for a creature who is lying on it constantly.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I installed it in our large tortoise room under the slate tile. I installed it on 1/4 cork pad that I laid on the slab concrete floor. It does a fantastic job heating the room, separately from the rest of the house. There is no way it gets hot enough to burn anything, it is meant to walk on. I can't say enough good about the system I installed. It was tedious but not difficult.