Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
BorisTort said:
I've noticed that my russian doesn't drink much. I always have a small dish of water in his enclosure for him, but when it disappears, it's usually from evaporation!

I soak him regularly, but don't see him drink much there either. I've recently been making sure his food is soaked with water so I know he's getting something.

Should I be concerned?

If the water is disappearing from evaporation, to me that says you have him in a very hot and dry enclosure, for that to be happening so quickly. What is your enclosure like?

Have you tried other water dishes (sizes, water depths, what they are made out of) or different locations within the enclosure? Does he maybe not like the temps his water is getting?

mikeh

5 Year Member
You can also try making a puddle in the food dish under the food. Some torts including mine won't drink from water dish, they just walk right thru it, but will seek out puddles if created and drink readily.
As far as soaking goes, with proper husbandry and the animal hydrating itself, I don't see a need for it. I don't soak mine at all, however I see them drinking on regular bases.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

fOrKyAnDpRoUd

5 Year Member
first off im sorry if i hit a nerve. I was just worried about how my russian was feeling being forced into water...

Next, mikeh said:

mikeh said:
You can also try making a puddle in the food dish under the food. Some torts including mine won't drink from water dish, they just walk right thru it, but will seek out puddles if created and drink readily.

when you make a puddle doesnt the water get dirty? I know they arent the cleanest animals out there but wouldnt consuming soiled water harm them? The same with them eating their soil?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Water

fOrKyAnDpRoUd said:
mikeh said:

when you make a puddle doesnt the water get dirty? I know they arent the cleanest animals out there but wouldnt consuming soiled water harm them? The same with them eating their soil?

The food isn't sitting on the soil. The food is in a dish and the water would be in this dish, clean from any soil. Make sense?

Sent from my TFOapp

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
fOrKyAnDpRoUd said:
first off im sorry if i hit a nerve. I was just worried about how my russian was feeling being forced into water...

Next, mikeh said:

mikeh said:

I am sorry that it appears a nerve was hit, it was nothing you did or said, so don't feel any guilt about it.

The water getting a little dirty should not cause any harm. Now if it sat there for a long time, became stagnant and with filth in it, then reason to be concerned. I am not sure what your using for substrate, but in the wild they do eat some soil either because it's on the food so it's an accidental ingestion or in some cases on purposes as there are trace nutrients in soil that they may need.

It's just us humans thinking water should be spotlessly clean, not the tortoise having issues with it.

BorisTort

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
BorisTort said:
I've noticed that my russian doesn't drink much. I always have a small dish of water in his enclosure for him, but when it disappears, it's usually from evaporation!

I soak him regularly, but don't see him drink much there either. I've recently been making sure his food is soaked with water so I know he's getting something.

Should I be concerned?

If the water is disappearing from evaporation, to me that says you have him in a very hot and dry enclosure, for that to be happening so quickly. What is your enclosure like?

Have you tried other water dishes (sizes, water depths, what they are made out of) or different locations within the enclosure? Does he maybe not like the temps his water is getting?

I'm beginning to think his enclosure is too hot! I just put up a new post asking about temperature, because my new thermometer is saying the temp is extremely high! Maybe that's causing the water issues?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Re: RE: Water

Yvonne G said:
We're talking about Russian tortoises here. I don't think they have access to water in the wild until it rains. They seem to have gotten along just fine for eons without daily access to water. That's why they have evolved to store their urine until they find a puddle and are able to drink.

I know nothing about baby russian tortoises in the wild, however, judging from the number of imported russian tortoises I have to assume that the babies get by from rain storm to rain storm without daily soaks too. But those wild tortoises are NOT sitting under a heat lamp or a strong UVB light either.

I happen to think that my captive tortoises need more water than just waiting for the next rain storm, and I provide waterers in each pen, and I give baby tortoises a daily soak. It is my opinion that a tortoise that is living in the house under lights, essentially on 'slow cook,' should have water daily to keep from drying out his insides.

Excellent summation Yvonne!

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.