WATER TURTLES???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I suppose "most" everyone has had water turtles in the past.. or even presently. My first water turtle was so far back - when Yvonne was a teen-ager.. ooops it just came out..
36_12_201.gif

I had this species in the 80's. And now this year.. http://www.turtletary.com/specials.htm

Whoda thunk? I have water turtles again -

3Youngsters.jpg

Commonly know as Diamond Back Terrapins.. just check out these colors and patterns on their carapace, head & necks -

Baskingbeauty.jpg

Some of these pics aren't too bad..

DBStack.jpg

RProfile.jpg

LITELProfile2.jpg

BIGC.jpg

1Profiln.jpg

Smaller than a half-dollar.. and just about a silver-dollar size!

Hope you liked...

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
They're beautiful Terry. Congratulations on getting them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DBT has got to be one of the prettiest water turtles around!

Yvonne

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
nice turtles!:)
i find diamond back turtles where i live all the time and they always have great patterns

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow those are beautiful, and so small! The photos make them look bigger. And those patterns! They look like an Egyptian board game with hieroglyphic markings on the spaces.;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Are you keeping them in brackish water Terry? I live near a large pond that narrows out and empties into the bay. In that narrow section of the pond, the water is brackish. In the Spring you can see loads of DT's basking on logs. The birds carry the eggs or hatchlings and drop them all over that neighborhood. I have re-homed many, but never kept them in brackish water...only fresh. Our's aren't as pretty as yours though. I think ours are Northern's. I think they are one of the most beautiful of water turtles. I remember when you told me you were totally through with water turtles.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Terry, those turts are BEAUTIFUL ! WOW, definitely interesting shell patterns. COngrats :) I look forward to hearing more!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Yeah.. they are striking aren't they?

This is a 6" female [ 6" - 8" adult size ] -

FDB2.jpg

FEMALERface.jpg

NERD

Shelly said:
Where are these native?

Jonathan has done an outstanding job of documenting his breeders.. read this and check out the different sub-species - http://www.diamondbackterrapin.com/index2.html

When I acquired the adult female above.. I knew I wanted to get hatchlings to 'raise-up'! Since they grow so fast I have now set them up in a 55H stock tank with canister filter, etc. Basically 2' x 4' x 14".

They are incredible swimmers @ 1.5"-2" in a foot of water.. playing in the water "exhaust" that pumps 350 gallons per hour!

55HDBTtank.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
Where are these native?

There are more than one subspecies, but they range from all along the east coast down into the gulf coast. They are mainly found where fresh water meets the ocean.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

They are beautiful Terry. I used to keep DBT's but due to an unfortunate accident I don't have them anymore. I had one that looks like your adult female and I had a couple of Northerns. They are darker then the ones you have and being darker that creates a great looking mustache...I kept them in fresh water and I think they are the nicest turtles around...

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
Shelly said:
Where are these native?

There are more than one subspecies, but they range from all along the east coast down into the gulf coast. They are mainly found where fresh water meets the ocean.

These probably would not do well year round in a Southern California pond, would they?

M

Maggie Cummings

Shelly said:
emysemys said:
Shelly said:
Where are these native?

These probably would not do well year round in a Southern California pond, would they?

Sure they would, why not? They are extremely hardy and could live anywhere...

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
maggie3fan said:
Shelly said:
emysemys said:
Shelly said:
Where are these native?

Sure they would, why not? They are extremely hardy and could live anywhere...

Great! So who wants to be a pal and mail me a few??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
Great! So who wants to be a pal and mail me a few??

They have a better chance of acclimating to fresh (as opposed to brackish) water if started out as hatchlings. Maggie got hers as hatchlings from an adoption place on the east coast. One of hers now lives in my pond here in Central Calif.

Status
Not open for further replies.