Water proofing wood

ladyjean22

5 Year Member
Any safe ideas I can do to water proof the wood bottom of sulcata inclosure?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I just cut down a large tarp to the size I wanted it and used gorilla duct tape to hold it in place (up near the top).

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I use pond liner, it's expensive but effective. I'm a firm advocate of doing things right the first time despite initial costs.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
I used pond liner, got it quite cheaply 1 year ago from amazon, still going strong

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I like the pond liner idea. No harsh sealers involved. The only question I have is do the tortoises nails penetrate the liner? We put a piece in the ground for a shallow soaking area in my red foot pen. Immediately the torts put holes in the liner but it was probably due to the uneven ground surface underneath. I'm assuming with a flat surface like wood that they would not penetrate the liner with their nails?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
theresal said:
I like the pond liner idea. No harsh sealers involved. The only question I have is do the tortoises nails penetrate the liner? We put a piece in the ground for a shallow soaking area in my red foot pen. Immediately the torts put holes in the liner but it was probably due to the uneven ground surface underneath. I'm assuming with a flat surface like wood that they would not penetrate the liner with their nails?

With 3-4 inches of substrate above it, I haven't had a problem yet.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Redstrike said:
theresal said:

With 3-4 inches of substrate above it, I haven't had a problem yet.

That's good to know and thanks!