Water heater turned off!!!!!!!!

sanamushtaqz

Location (City and/or State)
Srinagar
Hey guys. I feel terribly bad. I woke up in morning just to see that my turtles' water heater had been turned off. I have no memory of doing that and I have no idea when was it unplugged because I remember keeping it on before going to bed (as I always do). The water was extremely cold and it's winters already. They had become almost immobile. I quickly wrapped them under the blanket and they seem fine now. I read that cold water can lead to respiratory illnesses. What is the possibility in my case? This happened for the second time. ????? I'm so scared.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey guys. I feel terribly bad. I woke up in morning just to see that my turtles' water heater had been turned off. I have no memory of doing that and I have no idea when was it unplugged because I remember keeping it on before going to bed (as I always do). The water was extremely cold and it's winters already. They had become almost immobile. I quickly wrapped them under the blanket and they seem fine now. I read that cold water can lead to respiratory illnesses. What is the possibility in my case? This happened for the second time. ????? I'm so scared.
A blanket won't do anything for them because they don't generate their own body heat. Just plug the heater back in and they should warm up gradually and be fine. If this is a basking species, be sure their basking area is lit and warmed up.