Something wrong with my painted turtle?

SpookyRapter

2 weeks ago I was at my pond and notice one of my turtles is kinda weird?His shell seems to be damaged and he has changed colors.His legs turned sorta whitish and hes got more green on his head.Ive taken him inside and am keeping him in a large bid with water,basking spots,a heater,a filter,and a UVB light.There has been no improvement.Currently he will only eat dead fish?I have tried pellets but he doesn't want them.Hes pooping fine and acts normal he just looks weird.I will get some pictures of him soon.It kind of reminds me of what snakes do before they shed is he maybe doing that?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Try and posts some pics of your turtle and maybe someone will be able to tell what's going on.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
How long have you had him and where did you get him?
Agree that pictures will help.

SpookyRapter

I dont know how long Ive had him or where he came from as he just showed up in my pond last summer?When taking pictures of him I noticed his foot has cuts on it aswell and he has a weird place on his tail.There are snapping turtles in my pond perhaps they tried to eat him.

DSCN0177.JPG DSCN0175.JPG DSCN0171.JPG DSCN0178.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Are there other males turtles in the same pond? If so it could be males biting at him in aggression due to mating madness beginning. Some of my water turtles become more vivid this time of year so it's possible his different look is due to that.

Eric Zukowski

I have seen wild painted turtles with the same color legs most likely after they come out of hibernation but the head color is truly odd. If it is acting healthy and eating it may be best to put it back in your pond to keep from stressing. Best luck.