Water fountain in the indoor habitat.

Petya

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I am a new mom to the red foot hatchling - today is exactly a week as I got him/her. Jupiter was hatch in the beginning of December. I would not able to set his habitat and diet if not for all of you. Thank you so much!

I read few people attempted to install a fountain inside a habitat, so I decided to give it a try. Here is picture of Jupiter soaking under the fountain (he completely ignores his terracotta water dish). He does not sit there for long - 2-5 minutes the most, but in addition to his daily soaks, I believe it provides some hydration. And, fountain does helps to keep humidity at 80-95% in his habitat.

Again, thank you so much for posting pictures and sharing your stories. This forum is the only reason I was confident enough to get a tortoise.

Attachments

• D1AEFBAC-6A74-4A04-983E-9AF4372611FE.jpeg
    D1AEFBAC-6A74-4A04-983E-9AF4372611FE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 40

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's what I am fearing as well. I placed 3 coffee filters under the rocks in hope it will catch debris. We will see.
Great idea!

Petya

Ohio

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Ya I had been thinking about sinking a paint tray into the substrate, filling it with river rocks of various sizes and getting a filter/waterfall combo, just have to figure how to attach it to the side of a pvc enclosure. Still have over a year to figure it out unless that new law comes into effect.

Petya

Ohio
I've also tried to incorporate some sort of fountain or a filtered water system in an indoors (and outdoors) tortoise enclosure more times than I can count.
It has never quite worked.
Since this forum eliminated overthinking on what and how to feed, temperature, humidity, etc. I went straight to the esthetics :).