Water for tortoises?

°

°_°

Hello I'm new to reptiles so I dont know much yet and im currently reading lots of different information about water requirements.

So at first I read a lot of facts that tortoises dont need water in there enclosure cause they could get all there water through food and spraying the food with water down is this true?

Do I need a water bowl in the enclosure?
Does it depend on the species?

Then i read that they need water and also "soaks" in warm water..

Also is humidity really important?
Some posts say yes some say no

Everyone seems to take care of there tort very differently I dont know what info to follow

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
A shallow water dish is recommended to be filled at all times -think clay pot saucer for under the pot. Round with very shallow sides. Sometimes I think my Russian just likes to walk thorugh it, but since water is the source of life- a human could only survive about 1 week (7 days) without water. I get it Torts are super hardy, but having water available all day is a baseline animal care thing. BTW post pics we love to see new Torts

°

°_°

A shallow water dish is recommended to be filled at all times -think clay pot saucer for under the pot. Round with very shallow sides. Sometimes I think my Russian just likes to walk thorugh it, but since water is the source of life- a human could only survive about 1 week (7 days) without water. I get it Torts are super hardy, but having water available all day is a baseline animal care thing. BTW post pics we love to see new Torts
Thank u for ur answer I dont have a tort right now but im currently looking into the care of them cause I want one but before I try to make sure I got the right information [emoji1]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get your information from this forum only. As you have already found out there is way too much bad info out there.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I actually remember hearing that tortoises didn't need water decades ago. But already knew it was a load of crap because I often saw my tortoises drink out of puddles.
There was a lot of BAD information back then...And you can still come across it.
I would agree that the most and best up to date information would be on this forum.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello I'm new to reptiles so I dont know much yet and im currently reading lots of different information about water requirements.

So at first I read a lot of facts that tortoises dont need water in there enclosure cause they could get all there water through food and spraying the food with water down is this true?

Everyone seems to take care of there tort very differently I dont know what info to follow

If you are going to soak a tortoise daily and you are dealing with a very small young flat shelled tortoise then I would not say a water dish is necessary at all times...sometimes when dealing with a young tortoise whose shell is super flat and little legs are not super strong then I would say a dish is not always necessary...you do not want a young baby flipping in the water and not able right itself and it literally drown in the water. If you are speaking of a grown tortoise then a water dish full time would be beneficial.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong

What species of tortoise are you keeping? Different species requires different humidies. If I remember correctly, you are now looking into Russian torts? There is a Russian Tortoise care sheet. Idk how to post the link here. Someone else may be able to do it, or you can search it here yourself.

I would recommend a shallow, warm, kinda large water bowl. They can drink from it, soak in the water, maybe pee in it - and that's why you will need to change the water DAILY. you don't want it drunk pee do you XD?

DAILY soaks are essential especially for hatchlings (of any species)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Throughout the history of tortoise keeping, a lot of bad ideas were repeated and gained traction. This water thing was one of those.

Tortoises need water just like any other living thing. Yes, they can survive without it longer than some animals, but that doesn't mean that water deprivation is good for them.

There is no harm in soaking your tortoise often and having an appropriate water bowl available for self-soaking and drinking. There can be tremendous harm done if the tortoise becomes dehydrated, or if the tortoise is chronically a little to dry.

Humidity is important for growing babies to help their carapace grow properly. Even in dry areas of the world, babies will seek out and shelter in little humid microclimates within their otherwise arid areas.

Here is the correct care for Russians:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Anything said on a site that claims they don't need a water bowl, humidity is bad, or that they get enough water from their food, should be suspect.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There are caresheets for most species of torts here so read them and decide which species best suit your circumstances, climate, space and finances.
Also check here for best and safest equipment options which could save you a lot of money in profit making pet stores.