chlorinated water

Justincl

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
If the truth be known, I don't want to even think about what we HAVE to drink now. The rivers and waterways should not be for sewage. Then spend billions trying to clean it up. The only reason I don't collect rainwater is because I live in a wetlands area. It's polluted with snails and not the pretty version. But the slimey version.?
Same with me here in jakarta i know too well that my city is too polluted so when it rains i dont dare let my baby sulcata eat outside in the sun while its raining

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Clean water is for sure a tricky issue nowadays. Even in the USA I wouldn’t drink the tap. Here in Kalimantan the drinking water we use goes threw a few particulate filters, multiple types of sand, manganese and 2-3 carbon filters it’s safe to drink. Though I never had it tested to see what heavy metals or residual chemicals still exist. It does leave water stains on the torts shell. And I haven’t committed to properly collecting rain water.
Some food for thought below:
RO water contains NO minerals, it’s “hungry” therefore it will leach calcium and minerals from the bones of humans and animals alike. Possibly causing bone damage if consumed long term.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There is a lot of scaremongering fake news around about tap water impurities. UK tap water is fine. I readily accept that that isn’t the case in all countries.

I would seriously suggest they do some research into the mineral and chemical content of bottled waters. There’s some equally scary stuff about that out there.

It’s OP’s choice and money though. The question was asked and we have failed to confirm what they want to believe.

Justincl

Jakarta
There is a lot of scaremongering fake news around about tap water impurities. UK tap water is fine. I readily accept that that isn’t the case in all countries.

I would seriously suggest they do some research into the mineral and chemical content of bottled waters. There’s some equally scary stuff about that out there.

It’s OP’s choice and money though. The question was asked and we have failed to confirm what they want to believe.
I have a question should i get bottled mineral water for my baby tort or use reverse osmosis water from my water dispenser

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have a question should i get bottled mineral water for my baby tort or use reverse osmosis water from my water dispenser
Neither. Use water from your tap if it’s safe for you to drink.

Mineral water is the same as water from the tap in a hard water area... it may leave deposits on your tort’s shell.

I live in a hard water area... we get really bad limescale... but it never caused me problems with Joe in decades.

Reverse osmosis water is only necessary if your tap water is unfit for human consumption.

Justincl

Jakarta
Neither. Use water from your tap if it’s safe for you to drink.

Mineral water is the same as water from the tap in a hard water area... it may leave deposits on your tort’s shell.

I live in a hard water area... we get really bad limescale... but it never caused me problems with Joe in decades.

Reverse osmosis water is only necessary if your tap water is unfit for human consumption.
Actually tapwater in indonesia is unfit for human consumption

MNGuy

Minneapolis, MN
While there have been many good reasons to be wary of municipal water in many parts of the world, including the USA (Flint, Michigan), it's important to know that in the USA at least there is far more stringent quality control and reporting requirements for tap water than there is for bottled water.

I dechlorinate all of the tap water I use for my snakes and fish with Prime, a dechlorinator available at pet stores. It also removes chloramine, which is in some city water supplies and which I've read does not evaporate into the air like chlorine.

I understand there are greater challenges in many other countries.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Also I'm wondering why there is amonia and chlorine together in water. That's something you avoid mixing when cleaning so you don't get gassed to death ☠?

There is actually so little free ammonia in the water supply gennerally that after filtering out particulate contaminants down to microscopic sizes, they intentionally add it to chlorinated water to create the chloramine that is used to sanitize the domestic supply system. The amount that makes it to your tap is carefully controlled by water suppliers in the UK.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... my water is so hard it ruins everything it's used in or on. It also may grow blue green algae. My next door neighbor uses tap in his tank. I don't. He told me he gets snails. I don't. I'm not radical about not using our tap water but I watch where I use it.?

O

Olive_Hermann

Thanks everyone, it’s been really useful to know what other people are doing, very interesting.
So we know tortoises’ need a lot of calcium, so a filter system which completely filters out everything would not be acceptable for a tortoise - a system like a reverse osmosis or ‘pure water’ wouldn’t be any good for them (but probably tastes great for humans!)
Obviously, bottled water is bad for the environment and it isn’t as well regulated as tap water is (in the UK). The best I could find for my situation was a Gopure filter pod which costs £20, probably would last the year if just using it just for Olive’s water. Drop it in water and filters out the harshness. But I haven’t tried it yet so I don’t know if it works but reviews seem good.
I looked into the results of my water supply i.e. the chemicals in it etc. and it did fail a test last year for coliform bacterias, and so I am filtering my water! But it was an interesting subject to talk about. Yossarian thanks for information that was good to know about ammonia and JoesMum I wasn’t asking for a “confirmation of my views” I was just asking for an alternative and a bit of science; I’m not the only person in the world that filters their water supply. Never really knew much about it so was good to find out.
Thanks again x

O

Olive_Hermann

Hello
Just wanted to update. I have been using a water filter for a few weeks with Olive’s baths and drinking water. I few times have used tap water and noticed her skin was dryer after using the tap water so have gone back to using filter water. Just thought I’d share.
She is inside under heat and uvb lights so that would probably have an effect. Might be different when outside in the summer ??‍♀️ We’ll find out I suppose. X