Water Feature in Outdoor Enclosure

Eburg85

Location (City and/or State)
Pomona, CA
So I noticed my Sulcatas love being sprayed by the hose when it is hot outside. I was thinking of adding a shallow small water area for them to drink and also soak when they want. I know it will have to be shallow which will be easy to clean up also. Any thoughts on this or recommendations?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So I noticed my Sulcatas love being sprayed by the hose when it is hot outside. I was thinking of adding a shallow small water area for them to drink and also soak when they want. I know it will have to be shallow which will be easy to clean up also. Any thoughts on this or recommendations?
Some shallow, bowl type pool will need to have a rough surface for traction and must be gradually sloping for safety

Eburg85

Pomona, CA
Some shallow, bowl type pool will need to have a rough surface for traction and must be gradually sloping for safety
I am looking for a hard plastic something a couple inches deep but just not too big. Will most likely put rock on the bottom for traction.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If you are looking for something durable, search on “bird baths”. They come in all sizes & materials & usually in two main pieces. The bowl & the pedestal.

The bowl can easily be sunken down level into the ground & are usually only a few inches deep. It’s easy to dig out an area & sink the bowl in.
Something like this. Our local Lowes & Garden Pond Center sells the bowls separately.

The bowl itself is pretty shallow.

➡️➡️ https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/breakwater-bay-baretta-birdbath-w004382867.html

6F9E3E9B-90FA-47E7-923B-7AD899926230.jpeg

32ECF32A-1D6C-4A1D-B392-B96EEABFEA62.jpeg

Eburg85

Pomona, CA
If you are looking for something durable, search on “bird baths”. They come in all sizes & materials & usually in two main pieces. The bowl & the pedestal.

The bowl can easily be sunken down level into the ground & are usually only a few inches deep. It’s easy to dig out an area & sink the bowl in.
Something like this. Our local Lowes & Garden Pond Center sells the bowls separately.

➡️➡️ https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/breakwater-bay-baretta-birdbath-w004382867.html

View attachment 341847

View attachment 341848
Awesome idea. Thank you for the advice. My current water dishes are in their night box and are causing damage to the wood. This will be a good fix.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I use a very big plastic plant saucer sunk into the ground when my leopard is outside in the summer, but I sanded the inside first to roughen it up to improve traction.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

View attachment 341847

View attachment 341848
That's actually a great idea

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Rather than sinking a concrete bird bath into the ground, you might be best off just digging the hole, tamping it down and lining with sand and cement. Not much is required, you can have the size you want, and you can incorporate drainage as required. You do however need to wait a couple of weeks before it has fully cured and can be filled, and you will need to research a concrete sealer that is safe.

Here is my little setup:
IMG_20210606_170033.jpg

IMG_20211023_142044.jpg
IMG_20220213_145721.jpg