Water Dish Help

Carny

Location (City and/or State)
oregon
So i am trying to decide whether or not to have a water dish that my tortoise can soak in when he wants to because i have a small water dish that i usually use for him but he doesnt use it besides to get his front legs in hes currently in a 90 gallon tank which i will be getting rid of and making a tortoise table but idk what to do cuz when i first bought him which was like 4 months ago all he would do was lay in the water and i got rid of it because i thought maybe he could get shell rot what should i do have a small water dish that he can only drink from which i dont ever see him do or should i let him soak at will?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
What kind of tortoise do you have and how old is he?
Generally, you should be soaking your tortoise several times a week, more if it is a hatchling. I think it is a good idea to provide a water dish he can fit in for self soaking.

Carny

oregon
hes a redfooted tortoise sorry for the lack of information and hes about 4 or 5 got him about 4 months ago

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's best practice, regardless of species, to have a water dish that your tort can climb into when it wants to drink. A terracotta plant saucer has suitably gently sloping sides and can be pushed into the substrate so the rim is level with the surface of the substrate.

Site it in the middle of the enclosure rather than at an edge or in a corner. Torts tend to patrol the boundaries, so substrate is less likely to be dragged into the bowl if it isn't on the stomping route

N

no one

Maybe the dish is to small to drink from. I would definitely get a larger dish like discribed. A saucer where he could fit in.

Personally I think it is a must for tortoises.