Water circulators

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Hello,

Does anyone keep a water circulator in their tank for the turtles?

Like this one? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CFW82PG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The guppies and both my small southern painteds seem to enjoy hanging out right by the filter output where there is a high current. I'm curious if anyone has tried one of these to get more motion in their water more like a river than a pond.

Thanks,
Will

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi, Will. Sounds like your baby S Painteds are doing great!

Most all turtles, and definitely young turtles, seek out calmer, backwater sections of rivers, or streams and love to hang in the plants. They tend to avoid currents. Even the extremely strong swimmers like maps and terrapins. I will use current in the tank or pond to keep too much debris from settling in some of the "dead" areas, but not for the sake of the turtles. Now, some fish definitely benefit from current and will be healthier and grow much faster and bigger - such as Koi. That's one of the tricks to grow really big koi.

Robber

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
I use one in my map and musk turtle tanks. I put them on the end where the water returns from the filter(s) and feel like it helps the filtration by moving all of the water around.

Deb82

5 Year Member
I've used circulatory in both of my tanks for over two years. No issues, turtles are not bothered by them, helps keep good filtration in my opinion!