Filter options for waterland tubs

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsboro, NC
I'm fairly technical and can build most anything, if there is a known good design I can put one together. I have a submersible pump, I was half thinking of building a sand filter but decided to get something premade (Being sick as a dog right now i was trying to be lazy)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I picked up a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010PLGI5O/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 but unforunately it needs to be below water level, which isn't easy for a large waterland tub with a sallow pool of water.

Anyone have any recommendations? In a bind now, need filteration going ASAP.
I usually make my own filters these days. You can use a bucket, garbage can, tote etc. I've made a couple changes since this one but this should give you the general idea.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Is the tank sitting on the ground? Why can't you put the canister filter below it?

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Is the tank sitting on the ground? Why can't you put the canister filter below it?
It is not directly on the ground, but it is low. I have it on wheels so I can push it outside in spring/summer. The waterline is shallow (Cuora sp that prefers shallow water), all the canister filters for this amount of water would be too tall to be below the water line, the one i got certainly is.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I usually make my own filters these days. You can use a bucket, garbage can, tote etc. I've made a couple changes since this one but this should give you the general idea.
So pump the water into the bottom of the bucket, let is rise throught the filtermedia to the drain at top?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Pretty much ya. You'll want a small space at the bottom of the container where the water flows in with no media where the debris will collect. A laundry basket worked for me. Then you just fill the container with media. I've got lava rock, scrub brushes, ceramic rings, and filter floss in mine.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
My best result historically (going back near 20 years) with aquatic turtles was a trickle style filter using bio balls or similar. Mechanical filtration (if desired) is done by a foam pre filter on the pump intake screen and the trickle filter can handle the much higher bio load from turtles. If you fully submerge the bio media (such as flowing bottom to top) it will work but is less efficient, so the filter must be bigger.

If you have a very low water level, I’d raise the tub up and install a drain bulkhead. That way you can gravity drain through a filter located in or over a sump, and pump filtered water back to the tub.

Here is a setup for hatchling / juvenile cuora. Each tub has a center bulkhead drain, inverted u bend in the drain line sets water level in the tubs. The drain line after the u-bend is a trickle filter full of bio balls, and clean water is returned from the sump.

Attachments

• 11730811-D90D-4F3D-9E04-8EE00F559E76.jpeg
    11730811-D90D-4F3D-9E04-8EE00F559E76.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
My best result historically (going back near 20 years) with aquatic turtles was a trickle style filter using bio balls or similar. A submersible pump feeding a trickle filter is what I would do. Mechanical filtration (if desired) is done by a foam pre filter on the pump intake screen and the trickle filter can handle the much higher bio load from turtles.

If you have a very low water level, I’d raise the tub up and install a drain bulkhead. That way you can gravity drain through a filter located in or over a sump, and pump filtered water back to the tub.

Here is a setup for hatchling / juvenile cuora. Each tub has a center bulkhead drain, inverted u bend in the drain line sets water level in the tubs. The drain line after the u-bend is a trickle filter full of bio balls, and clean water is returned from the sump.
I intend to raise the tub up, but right now due to covid my turtle/tortoise building is delayed, so they are slumming it in a heated tent in my garage.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Canister filters are a giant pain anyways. I had one on some mata matas years ago and it was nothing but trouble.
If you need something quick and easy you could do a submersible/internal filter. They get dirty real fast but are very easy to clean.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I haven't ran it yet, but built one today, thanks

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Right on, post some pics when you get it up and running.
So yeah my pump is WAY too strong lol, it works but i have to bottleneck the pump to keep the bucket from overflowing, which is obviously not good for the pump, so im ordering a replacement.

Man does that work!

I did a bit of a modification, in order to allow the bucket to be lower, i have the outlet coming up top instead of piping back to the bottom.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So yeah my pump is WAY too strong lol, it works but i have to bottleneck the pump to keep the bucket from overflowing, which is obviously not good for the pump, so im ordering a replacement.

Man does that work!

I did a bit of a modification, in order to allow the bucket to be lower, i have the outlet coming up top instead of piping back to the bottom.
I've actually switched to that style since too.IMG_20211115_103022195.jpg

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I've actually switched to that style since too.View attachment 336103
What pump are you using, I bought a bunch of cheap submersible ones but I have doubts they will last long, and would prefer something not submersible.

Water quality has improved a lot, so has the turtle activity level. A LOT of mating going on! Appreciate your guide for sure.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What pump are you using, I bought a bunch of cheap submersible ones but I have doubts they will last long, and would prefer something not submersible.

Water quality has improved a lot, so has the turtle activity level. A LOT of mating going on! Appreciate your guide for sure.
I've been using this pump for about a year and a half.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I've been using this pump for about a year and a half.
I'm running various $10 pumps from amazon, they output enough to overflow, I had to put an additional outlet on the bucket. Guessing I'll run them until they die then look at those more expensive ones

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm running various $10 pumps from amazon, they output enough to overflow, I had to put an additional outlet on the bucket. Guessing I'll run them until they die then look at those more expensive ones
A mesh bag like one of these might help extend the pumps life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I followed the instructions for making a Skippy pond filter. I have it in a 300 (or 600 I can never remember) gallon cattle water trough and it works great! It's been in use for over five years. Because I run it daily all day long, only unplugging it at night, the motor doesn't last long. I have about 6 or 8 dead bodies in the garage. I buy the dirty water submersible pump from Harbor Freight. They're about $100 and push a lot of water. My Skippy filter is in a 30 gallon plastic garbage can.