Water and Soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoot925

5 Year Member
Just got my red foot recently and I was wondering if you need to dechlorinate their drinking water or soaking water?
-Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have never worried about the chlorine in our water. I use it right out of the pipes for all my animals (except aquarium fish).

Hi redfoot925:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I give both my torts water straight from the tap, have never had a issue with it.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I too worried about that.... if you just pour a bucket or a cup of water, let it sit out in the open overnight the chlorine should go away. That is what I do at least since I am paranoid.

redfoot925

5 Year Member
Hi thanks for the replys,
My names Jeff I live in Illinois I own a juvenile red foot And my girlfriend Hannah who uses this username also owns a red foot hatchling

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My rule of thumb has always been that if I can drink it, they can too. You can let the water sit in an open container for 24 hours if it makes you nervous.

Although if you have hard water and a softener, I've always heard that the hard water is better for them to drink and swim in than the softened is, but the soft water is better for watering and misting the habitat to avoid the calcium deposits and stains.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
from what Ive gathered from my vet there are small bonuses to tap water for animals (not fish). too small to really see mind you but still better than any negatives.
Also there havent been any tests done on the standard chlorine removers for fish as far as pet use and all bottles say not for use with animals that will be consumed by humans so right there is a good reason to use tap water.
Ive never had a problem at all

Status
Not open for further replies.