Red Foot Tortoise always soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past week my red foot is always in the water. I take her out but she goes right back in. She is eating and going to the bathroom normal. So is this extended soaking normal or does it mean something is wrong?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It could mean many things from the temperature not being within her comfort range, the habitat being too dry, she could be getting sick, and so on. Could you give us a bit more information about your set up? Things like what the warm and cool temps are, what substrate, humidity level, and the like. With that information, we can do a better job of giving you answers to why your tortoise is doing that. :tort:

She has cypress mulch sub. with some peet moss over her hiding log. Some fake grass around her soaking pool and a corner has some hanging leaves for her to go under. It's a 50 gallon tank with 3/4 of it covered by plexy glass, I have a hard time keeping the humidity past 40-50. She has a heat lamp and a UVB lamp. I have only had her since November and she eats great if it's the Mazure food but not much else.
But maybe it's a good thing cause she used to never go in her pool, unless I didn't catch it.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
What are the temps like in there? Both in the air and on the substrate. If it is choosing the water a lot, then it likes it better than the other options. It may be too wet, too dry, too hot, or too cool for it. Hard to tell from the information so far.

You may also want to consider some other diet options as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.