Watching my Russian

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I set up a program that allows me to see what my computer webcam sees on my Ipod. So I set up my computer so I can watch my Russian tortoise. I can even talk to her through it if I want to. I can hear everything on her end if I hook up a microphone (no point in that though).
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387816998.901558.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387817009.100614.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387817026.336735.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoisehappy

I have a Russian desert tortoise to, and I was wondering do you know how big the tank should be because right now I have a 20 gallon tank is that big enough?ImageUploadedByTortForum1387827234.726331.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387827249.409654.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
tortoisehappy said:
I have a Russian desert tortoise to, and I was wondering do you know how big the tank should be because right now I have a 20 gallon tank is that big enough?

No. A 20 gallon is not nearly big enough. I would recommend going to walmart/target on December 27th-30th and buy the biggest Christmas tree tub they have. It is cheaper, bigger, and better than a tank. Also you néed to get a terra cotta saucer from lowes or Home Depot for a water dish. Those water dishes are notorious for killing tortoises that get stuck on there back in it. And this should be split into a new thread :)

To op. That is awesome! I am currently trying to get one. I asked for one for Christmas so if I don't get it then I will probably buy one with some of my Christmas money. But if I do, I will hook it up immediately. This is really awesome.

tortoisehappy

My tortoise is not even 1 year old and he seems fine he just eats and basks. Should I get him a bigger tank later or get a new one now

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Spying on the torts while away......I wouldn't get anything done at work if I could do this! Way cool!

tortoisehappy said:
My tortoise is not even 1 year old and he seems fine he just eats and basks. Should I get him a bigger tank later or get a new one now

Here's my advice:
That tank is way, way, way too small. I would get a larger one ASAP. Your tort will really appreciate that. And remove that water dish immediately - that particular one is a real danger to your tort. You need a water dish that doesn't have such high sides and is not so deep.

Also, there are people more knowledgeable than me that will probably chime in, but your Russian looks far older than 1. My Russian looks very similar to yours in size and was guessed to be anywhere from 5 to 10 years old. Did you buy him at a pet store?

Anyhow, you are in the right place here. I've been a member for about a year and use this site for all of my torty questions, and I really enjoy reading others posts. Good luck with your tort!

tortoisehappy

Do you know any place to get a new tank. And yes, I got him at a store they said he was only a couple months old.

Also my moms friend has a Russian tort and said they got a 20 gallon tank and when he got older they got a 40 gallon tank. Plus the lady at the petsmart said 20 gallon was ok.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
When I bought my Russian last December at PetSmart, after joining this forum, I realized everything their reptile associate told me was completely the wrong way to care for my tortoise. Like yourself, they sold me an aquarium and many other things that were wrong. Needless to say, it all went back and I had a huge store credit, which has since been spent on things I truly needed for him. That being said, my Dad and husband built me a 3 ft X 5 ft tortoise table. It is far better than any cage you can buy at a store. But is not the easiest if you are not a crafty person. If you prefer not to build a table, then do what Tortoise5643 said, and go to Lowe's or Walmart and buy a Christmas tree storage tub right after Christmas.

tortoisehappy

Are you sure?

He seems happy and I'm really worried.

I got him like 6-7 months ago. The lady said a 20 gallon tank was ok for 2 years

I'm gonna listen to the people at petsmart. My tort seems happy and I let him roam around a lot.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
tortoisehappy said:
Are you sure?

I got him like 6-7 months ago. The lady said a 20 gallon tank was ok for 2 years

I'm gonna listen to the people at petsmart. My tort seems happy and I let him roam around a lot.

Okay, but if you do the research, you will discover you've been misinformed.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
tortoisehappy said:
Are you sure?

20 gallons is way too small! You can not listen to the people at pet stores! Your tortoise is probably several years old. Not months. I got my russian a 40 gallon when I first got her, and it was too small. Why would you listen to someone who only cares about the money to be made off the tortoise, and not people who care for the actual animal?

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
hunterk997 said:
tortoisehappy said:
Are you sure?

20 gallons is way too small! You can not listen to the people at pet stores! Your tortoise is probably several years old. Not months. I got my russian a 40 gallon when I first got her, and it was too small. Why would you listen to someone who only cares about the money to be made off the tortoise, and not people who care for the actual animal?

Thank you for chiming in on this one, hunterk. I was really trying to help this person, but apparently the uneducated pet store workers win again.....ugh

Cutva

5 Year Member
My tortoise from the pet store was supposed to be 1 year old turned out she was around 10 years old! We have a large kiddy pool for her and are making an outdoor pen. Please listen and get your poor tortoise a larger area to live in!