was not happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

firetwofire

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno NV
I went to a reptile show this last weekend and their was a reptile rescue there. When I went into their booth I was not happy with how they were keeping their tortoises, they barely had room to pop their heads out. What do you think? It was the International Reptile Rescue.

Attachments

• 20130210_114418.jpg
    20130210_114418.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • 20130210_114427.jpg
    20130210_114427.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 80

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not a way I would have displayed animals being a rescue group. However, most likely it was just for the expo, as room is limited.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's just not possible to bring large enclosures to a show. When you have quite a few animals to bring, space is usually limited in your car/truck for the animals and not for comfortable enclosures. You can rest assured that these animals don't live 24/7 like this. It was just a way to contain them for the show. And they probably hoped they would all be adopted out and not have to be taken home again.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I think it would be more stressful for them if they were in a wide open area with a bunch of people milling around above them. Does not seem cruel to me. They are not being permanently housed like that.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
That is true. I just think of it in my shoes I guess. I wouldn't want to be cramped for any time. Lol.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Yeah I saw the exact same thing at the Michigan reptile show last weekend. I'm sure it was just for the show though :)

marcodicicco

5 Year Member
Did you ask them how they house their baby tortoise? I adopted a sully from them and was given the dry method for raising it. They get enough water from the food the eat, I was told. Never soak it! Glad I found this site. Thanks Tom for all your wisdom. All pyramiding has been stopped.
IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I dont like the looks of how animals are displayed at those shows either.. tiny little containers..
this was a rescue? and selling a sulcata for $300?

firetwofire

5 Year Member
Reno NV
I suppose that it could make them feel more secure in a smaller box but u can see the one can't even move his head. All I know (and i dont know alot) is that my 65 lb loves to roam and this was a 2 or 3 day show. I thought the same thing about the $300 price tag. Rescues need to pay for food but that seems a little high. What is a going cost for a adult tortoise at a rescue?

argus333

5 Year Member
seems fine to me, he looks safe an secure. at a show.

Status
Not open for further replies.