Was given a baby snapping turtle need help

Welp

Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
So I was just given a baby snapping turtle that was in a pond. I have some idea of how to care for it but want to make sure. Also I dont know what type it is but I've seen them a lot so I think it's a pretty common breed. I also have two fish tanks so I have some API water conditioner and all that. Need to figure out what to do with him tonight 20200627_222616.jpg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Its probably a common snapper. And if ur not ready to give many years and have a huge spot for a pond.. i would release it back in the pond where u got it from. U cant keep it as a pet for a few years and then release it back

Welp

West Virginia
I wasnt planning on keeping him forever just until hes grown up my uncle brought him to me and I had no clue he was doing that ;-;

Welp

West Virginia
Keep him until hes a bit bigger and I'll try to find somewhere to take him he came from a long way away and theres not even any snapping turtles around here

Welp

West Virginia
For tonight could I take some water out of my 55 gallon tank and put him in a container? We cant drink the water at the moment because of a boil water advisory

Welp

West Virginia
And I have a heater for a fish tank and a pump I could put in the water if that's safe for him

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
There are most certainly snapping turtles where u are. U cant keep this lil guy until hes bigger and then release him. Hes not gonna kno watcto do after being in captivity since a baby

Welp

West Virginia
I tried to get my uncle to. And what I meant was around my house even though I live in the woods I have never seen any here theres not really any water or anything i didnt mean there was none here at all lol

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
These guys are survivors and will eat most anything that's protein. However if releasing be sure it's an area where they live so it does not eat up an ecosystem not native to it. They will eat smaller other little turtles too hence my comment:(.

natureguy

5 Year Member
So I was just given a baby snapping turtle that was in a pond. I have some idea of how to care for it but want to make sure. Also I dont know what type it is but I've seen them a lot so I think it's a pretty common breed. I also have two fish tanks so I have some API water conditioner and all that. Need to figure out what to do with him tonight View attachment 298582
Please do not let him/her go where you found it! There are problems about habitat restrictions. Unless you are absolutely positive that this is within their natural habitat do not let it go! By the way they make wonderful pets. They just need a lot of fresh/circulated water. Of course they may not make good "bed-companions" with other turtles. They certainly are quite aggressive when going after food. They do not hesitate in tearing up large pieces of carrion or subduing something bigger than could be swallowed whole.

I absolutely love turtles! I once had a Snapper for a while when I was living in northern Illinois. I would give anything to have one again. However laws in California prohibit sales or possession of Snappers here!

Here is how the Snappers would impact existing water-ways: They would feed upon extensive populations of imported crayfish. Also they would be hunting the American Bullfrog, In the meantime they would be feeding upon various Sunfish, Bullheads, Large-mouth bass and Channel Catfish that inhabit our water-ways.

In abstentia this wonderful creature has been condemned at a point that is far too late for it to do anything but good for our California Aquatic Habitat! Right now it is needed most!