Alligator snapping turtle question (homemade pond)

swatsx

5 Year Member
So I have a alligator snapping turtle and I plan on making it a large pond for the winter months in my basement, will his claws scratch the pond liner and rip it if I go that route? Would using cement to make the pond be better? He's only 3 inches so I have some time

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Hmm, pond liner is pretty thick, but turtles can be determined!
In your basement? Why don't you get a big 300g stock tank or something?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never owned one. However, I would play it safe and do a stock tank. Maybe a large harder plastic kiddie pool, but not sure they are deep enough.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I think a big 300 gallon stock tank would be easier due to the fact it can be easily drained, but no, not if you are using the 45 mil EPDM firestone stuff that is used for virtually every pond application mean to last these days. As long as you get all your seams right, that stuff is ridiculously tough.

swatsx

5 Year Member
I always have a tendency to over think things, so in my head I have the stock pond or a rectangle pond made of wood and pond liner with a deep end and a slope, the only thing I dislike about the stock pond is its all the same depth so you have to add rocks or something to give the AST a way to reach the surface but like I said my guy is 3 inches tops so I have time thanks for your replies

swatsx

5 Year Member
I always have a tendency to over think things, so in my head I have the stock pond or a rectangle pond made of wood and pond liner with a deep end and a slope, the only thing I dislike about the stock pond is its all the same depth so you have to add rocks or something to give the AST a way to reach the surface but like I said my guy is 3 inches tops so I have time thanks for your replies

Berkeley

If it is only a 3-inch turtle, a 10 gallon aquarium is fine.
A 300 gallon stock tank is suitable for one that is 14 inches or larger.
Smaller is better for the juvenile snappers.
--Berkeley

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So I have a alligator snapping turtle and I plan on making it a large pond for the winter months in my basement, will his claws scratch the pond liner and rip it if I go that route? Would using cement to make the pond be better? He's only 3 inches so I have some time

My snapper is about 12" SCL, and I have her in a 600 (I think) gallon horse trough, lined with pond liner (because I was worried about the galvanized metal poisoning the water). She's been in there for about 6 or 8 years and the liner has never been damaged by her claws.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I have...well I'll just go get a picture, hold on.....

snapper pond d.jpg

snapper pond 8-2-15 b.jpg

snapper pond 8-2-15 c.jpg

snapper pond 8-2-15 d.jpg

I usually keep it fuller, you can see the water line. She gets up on the brick every afternoon to sun. Under the brick is a great big plastic flower pot with a door cut out. I'm using the Skippy Filter that I found online. It works great! I only have the netting over the pond this time of year to catch the falling leaves.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Do you heat it in the winter? I live in Michigan I don't think my guy would like it cold in the winter but I would rather when it gets old and bigger have him outside I could do a green house type but wife might get mad

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you heat it in the winter? I live in Michigan I don't think my guy would like it cold in the winter but I would rather when it gets old and bigger have him outside I could do a green house type but wife might get mad

Me? No, she hibernates inside the cave.