*Warning"

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I have been keep tortoises for 20 years or so...and I hope that when I post things like this you noobs pay attention and do better than I. Mary Knobbins...
100_2075.JPG lives in a shed that is not attached to my house. So it's insulated, and heated etc. Mary K had a CHE go out so I was replacing the whole fixture as it has to hang down from the ceiling and I needed an extension cord...went in the house...back out hooked it up and put Mary underneath it for measurement ok, but that just wasn't gonna hold, so it's back in the house for a zip tie...neighbor saw me and we talked for a few minutes...back to the shed and I immediately smelled smoke...the CHE was on the floor. I hadn't turned it on...but it was, I caught it so there is just a small charred spot, but it smelled odd...Mary was over eating breakfast, and holy sh*t!!! I didn't smell wood burning...it was Mary...100_2063.JPG
I should have tested it before I left to make sure it was off...and Mary is damaged because of it. Minutes is all and look...
100_2064.JPG
makes me feel sick to my stomach...CHE's are dangerous and need to be treated that way

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
sadly it happened. it will heal. i agree. they need to be secured well and until you are sure they are do not leave them on overnight. we secure the crap out of them here.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for the warning Maggie.
Poor Mary, but hopefully she'll soon recover.
I'm paranoid about my tort's electrics and making them secure, but it's good to be reminded how quickly accidents can happen.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thanks for the warning Maggie.
Poor Mary, but hopefully she'll soon recover.
I'm paranoid about my tort's electrics and making them secure, but it's good to be reminded how quickly accidents can happen.
That's my point...I went in the house to get a zip tie...and in 5 minutes that happened. Evidently Mary K does not know she's hurt. But believe me...I know I hurt her...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awww Maggie, we know you would do anything for your torts/animals. Luckily she only has cosmetic damage and nothing more and there was no fire. Don't beat yourself up. She doesn't seem to have a clue anything happened.
I had a run in with a che this winter. My arm touched it but I had my winter down coat on so didnt even know it until i started to smell it. One of my warmest coats melted elbow and down was falling out. That crap is hard to clean up lol.
I put packing tape over the melted area and it's now officially my winter coat for tortoise and chickens care only.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Awww Maggie, we know you would do anything for your torts/animals. Luckily she only has cosmetic damage and nothing more and there was no fire. Don't beat yourself up. She doesn't seem to have a clue anything happened.
I had a run in with a che this winter. My arm touched it but I had my winter down coat on so didnt even know it until i started to smell it. One of my warmest coats melted elbow and down was falling out. That crap is hard to clean up lol.
I put packing tape over the melted area and it's now officially my winter coat for tortoise and chickens care only.
I have red duct tape holding my tort shoes together...lol...looking at that burn is awful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks bad, but I'm thinking she/doesn't feel it. I've seen large sulcatas with bad burns on their carapace from a light being too close to them, and they just sit there under the light and allow it to burn them. Makes me think they don't feel it. I know the new growth areas are sensitive because they do the hootchy kootchy dance when you rub their back end.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's my point...I went in the house to get a zip tie...and in 5 minutes that happened. Evidently Mary K does not know she's hurt. But believe me...I know I hurt her...
Thank you for sharing this cautionary tale. I hope both you and Mary are okay. I know how much this would upset you.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Excellent post. Hopefully folks will pay attention to this. Bottom line is sh!t happens to the best of us, even to more experienced keepers such as yourself! Question for you though: I've heard Tom and others say that CHE's are not recommended for outdoor enclosures. Are you now possibly looking into getting a different type of heating element? P.S. Mary is still beautiful as ever!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Excellent post. Hopefully folks will pay attention to this. Bottom line is sh!t happens to the best of us, even to more experienced keepers such as yourself! Question for you though: I've heard Tom and others say that CHE's are not recommended for outdoor enclosures. Are you now possibly looking into getting a different type of heating element? P.S. Mary is still beautiful as ever!
She has more beauty than ever now...lol...way back in the beginning when I first learned about keeping turtles and tortoises I was taught to use a incandescent 65-watt black light bulb for heat at night and it emits a kind of a a blue light that I was told by a couple exotic vets and the foremost expert that is my sister, told me that shade of light didn't bother the tortoises and now they're illegal and I was buying them online but sometimes I can't find them. Tom and the other experts on TFO don't approve of them.
I thought it must be obvious by now that I don't care what Tom and the others think, I do what I was taught mostly...but mainly those people are researching and buying new more modern equipment and buying expensive tortoises...a way different class than me and my tortoises. I am on a government dole so my torts and I live in poverty. I use the che's not because I like them, but because that's what I had in my closet...how ya been? It was warm for a few days and Mary K went out acting like she'd never seen the sun...well, it has been a few months...100_2004.JPG
I was fostering 3 Russians for my friend's addict son, then he gave them up. I'm was gonna take them to my sister until gas hit $5.50 a gallon for regular...I run premium...well...The male Russian climbed out of his pen and did this...they did some fooling around until I thought oh crap....this might lead to bad things..lol

100_1991.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
sadly it happened. it will heal. i agree. they need to be secured well and until you are sure they are do not leave them on overnight. we secure the crap out of them here.
I didn't leave it that way all night. I went into the house to grab a zip tie...wasn't gone but maybe 5 minutes or less...it must have fallen immediately when I left...I thought it would hold a few minutes and I DIDN'T turn it on...but I took the whole unit...already put together...so while I didn't turn it on...I must not have turned it off before I put it away...

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
She has more beauty than ever now...lol...way back in the beginning when I first learned about keeping turtles and tortoises I was taught to use a incandescent 65-watt black light bulb for heat at night and it emits a kind of a a blue light that I was told by a couple exotic vets and the foremost expert that is my sister, told me that shade of light didn't bother the tortoises and now they're illegal and I was buying them online but sometimes I can't find them. Tom and the other experts on TFO don't approve of them.
I thought it must be obvious by now that I don't care what Tom and the others think, I do what I was taught mostly...but mainly those people are researching and buying new more modern equipment and buying expensive tortoises...a way different class than me and my tortoises. I am on a government dole so my torts and I live in poverty. I use the che's not because I like them, but because that's what I had in my closet...how ya been? It was warm for a few days and Mary K went out acting like she'd never seen the sun...well, it has been a few months...View attachment 342624
I was fostering 3 Russians for my friend's addict son, then he gave them up. I'm was gonna take them to my sister until gas hit $5.50 a gallon for regular...I run premium...well...The male Russian climbed out of his pen and did this...they did some fooling around until I thought oh crap....this might lead to bad things..lol

View attachment 342627
Yeah, this economy has been tough on a lot of us. My electric bills for the past 2 months have averaged around $700 per month! Not to mention te cost of gas, food, etc. This keeps up, I'll be "on the dole" as well! Incandescent lights are still legal here here in Ohio. I'd love to send you some, but I'd probably be brought up on federal contraband charges! lol. Regardless, glad she's ok and I hope the future brightens up for you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought it must be obvious by now that I don't care what Tom and the others think, I do what I was taught mostly...but mainly those people are researching and buying new more modern equipment and buying expensive tortoises...a way different class than me and my tortoises. I am on a government dole so my torts and I live in poverty. I use the che's not because I like them, but because that's what I had in my closet...how ya been? It was warm for a few days and Mary K went out acting like she'd never seen the sun...well, it has been a few months...View attachment 342624

View attachment 342627
I just LOVE that squash face picture -and if you look closely you can see that she was supplementing her squash with salad (grass)!! LOVE IT!!!