Want a new enclosure for Mr Remy

PixiePie

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey
Hi! Can anybody link me some good enclosures for my Greek spur thigh tortoise? His viv is far too small! Unfortunately when my parents got him for me 15 years ago we were given all the incorrect information! Even his certificate was wrong as it says Herman and only found out on here yesterday that he is infact not Herman! And I really want to give him a better life like he deserves! I feel horrible not finding out sooner! He is an adult tortie man, thankyou! 🥰

LJL1982

UK
So really an adult spurthigh needs 4 x 8 ft minimum enclosure size. It can be a plywood base with plank edging but you really want the edges about 2ft high.

From April he can be in the garden most of the time and you could keep him outside year round with an insulated or heated hutch or shed, and place the heated hutch in a greenhouse or cold frame.

From when the nights are 12 to 13 degrees upwards he can stay outside full time in a hutch anyway and shouldn't need significant heat as daytime should be 20 upwards then.

I would hibernate him over the winter then. I didn't hibernate mine and he has had a spare room turned over to him. I would never recommend free roaming unless its a dedicated enclosure.

Consider in allowing him to roam or in making an enclosure that floor temps are up to 10 degrees lower than head height.

In b&q they sell melamine boards which are relatively cheap and wipe clean. Or convert 2 IKEA Billy bookcases. To reduce energy costs you can put perspex over the enclosure too.

AmandaF

Congresbury
Hi! Can anybody link me some good enclosures for my Greek spur thigh tortoise? His viv is far too small! Unfortunately when my parents got him for me 15 years ago we were given all the incorrect information! Even his certificate was wrong as it says Herman and only found out on here yesterday that he is infact not Herman! And I really want to give him a better life like he deserves! I feel horrible not finding out sooner! He is an adult tortie man, thankyou! 🥰

PixiePie

Surrey
So really an adult spurthigh needs 4 x 8 ft minimum enclosure size. It can be a plywood base with plank edging but you really want the edges about 2ft high.

From April he can be in the garden most of the time and you could keep him outside year round with an insulated or heated hutch or shed, and place the heated hutch in a greenhouse or cold frame.

From when the nights are 12 to 13 degrees upwards he can stay outside full time in a hutch anyway and shouldn't need significant heat as daytime should be 20 upwards then.

I would hibernate him over the winter then. I didn't hibernate mine and he has had a spare room turned over to him. I would never recommend free roaming unless its a dedicated enclosure.

Consider in allowing him to roam or in making an enclosure that floor temps are up to 10 degrees lower than head height.

In b&q they sell melamine boards which are relatively cheap and wipe clean. Or convert 2 IKEA Billy bookcases. To reduce energy costs you can put perspex over the enclosure too.
Thankyou! He’s never lived outdoors before only had a penned area in the garden during the day) or been hibernated (that’s one of the things we were told to avoid which seems to also be wrong 🤦‍♀️)