WalkingRock-vs- The Grand Adventure

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
What a bummer! I am so sorry to hear this. Thank you for posting though. I appreciate the reminder to be diligent with my guy. He likes to walk in the snow. I always lock him in at night, but I should check more often to make sure he is not stretching his walks to long.
Lessons learned the hard way really suck. I am really sorry.

Thanks Jodie and your right about diligence! We must show lots of it when when our weather goes to the extreme.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I am so sorry to hear this. You and his new caretakers must be so sad. I can imagine this happening. I'm ashamed to say that one night, I shut Charlie's door, thinking he was inside, then later I found him huddled next to his nightbox. He couldn't get in because the door was already shut. Luckily in our case, it wasn't really cold, and he hadn't been out that long, so he was fine. Still, it really scared me.

Many people don't realize that when a tortoise gets cold, he doesn't have the instinct or the intelligence to always go back to his heated place. There have been plenty of times Charlie would hunker down in a corner of the yard, and I had to move him. While moving him, he was a dead weight until he was put into the doorway of his house; then he realized where he should be.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I am so so sorry for your loss. You did a great job with him it sounds like.