WalkingRock gets a Rebuild

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Last weekend, the rains let up and I noticed WalkingRocks Bunker was sagging a little and the roof was not fitting on so well. Not to mention, the poor guy was covered in mud all the time. I opened his roof and found that he was living in a pile of mud and excrement. So I decided it was time for a rebuild.

You may remember that this is the way his Bunker Used to look. The Path Stones that surround it allow for insulation but also turned the inside into a swimming pool and made the sides start to sink because the inside has a dirt floor so he could dig alittle.

...So I picked up all the Path Stones...

...Removed the roof and flipped over Bunker to get it out of the mud...

...Needless to say, The Boss was watching over my shoulder the whole time but this time he stayed out of the way.... guess he was ready for a change!

...Then after a whole lotta digging and stirring, I had a mud pit @6" deep and re-positioned and the Path Stones on top of it to make a good Foundation and Stone Floor for the Bunker.

...Now, I know what your thinking, " Zamric, if you set those stones on a mud pit, it will never be a flat foundation when the mud dries." AND... you would be correct! I'm sorry to say that I did not get a picture of the solution but I'll tell you that I flipped the house upside down on top of where it would sit and used its own weight (@300lbs) and the flat surface of the roof to press the water from the mud and let it dry for a week like that. Here are the Final results and I think the smile one WalkingRocks face is payment enough!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks great. I bet he's very happy with his new digs lol. Is there a reason you use strips of towel to cover the opening instead of plastic?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I used towels because it blocks the sun very well...and I don't want to use plastic strips till I can get the ones I want and that would be the heavy "Walk-in Refrigerator" type strips.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spending that much time on pavers is going to take an abrasive toll on his legs, feet and plastron. Might I suggest some plywood lining. It wouldn't be too hard to periodically replace it as it rots or gets ruined. It would probably last a year or two.

How many feet of that vinyl door flap stuff do you need? I have a roll of it that I got from an awesome tortoise lady. I'l send you some if you need it and can't find it elsewhere.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy 6'x4' rubber horse stall mats at the feed store for $39.95. It cuts (with a whole lot of smoking) with a circular saw.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Spending that much time on pavers is going to take an abrasive toll on his legs, feet and plastron. Might I suggest some plywood lining. It wouldn't be too hard to periodically replace it as it rots or gets ruined. It would probably last a year or two.

How many feet of that vinyl door flap stuff do you need? I have a roll of it that I got from an awesome tortoise lady. I'l send you some if you need it and can't find it elsewhere.

His doorway is 2' tall and 3' wide....so figure 4 strips X 2'2"... 8'8" ?

And as for the flooring.... I was planning on getting the rubber mats for restaurants use but I like Yvonnes idea of a horse stall mat. The inside is 4'x7'.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His doorway is 2' tall and 3' wide....so figure 4 strips X 2'2"... 8'8" ?

And as for the flooring.... I was planning on getting the rubber mats for restaurants use but I like Yvonnes idea of a horse stall mat. The inside is 4'x7'.

Yvonne's idea is wayyyyy better than mine.

Send me a PM with a mailing addy for the door flaps.