Vivexotic

Odin & Thor

Hello all! I have decided to try a vivarium for my baby star tortoises - so my question is: Does anybody own a vivexotic vivarium? Could it be used for my tortoises?

(I made a thread about humid hides some days ago, but I can't seem to reply to anyone? So I'm very sorry!)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have come to not trust treated or coated wood. The materials where particleboard is encased in plastic always has that edge, that if gotten wet expands and tears seams apart.

The RepCage looks like they are using PVC boards. In the US at least one company that does that is called animal plastics. They use CDPVC maybe sometimes also called expanded PVC http://www.usplastic.com/search/default.aspx?it=item&keyword=expanded pvc is a US based company that sells it.

These cages are good forever more or less.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Not sure what @Will is referring to. The repcage link shows enclosures made of polypropylene. Also all welded/bonded together. Looks extremely durable and polypropylene would never break down. The size also looks better than the vivexotic as it is almost 24" wide. However at 50cm, or about 19" tall, it may be a bit tight hanging the appropriate lights inside, but it should work just fine. I really like what I see. For a star, would be fine for a few years.

But you mention StarS (plural) How many stars will you be housing in this?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agree with you totally, Will. I wish one of these places would make a plastic cage like the closed chamber I built from @Tom 's design. That would be the best thing for all the folks looking and struggling with raising tortoises. The price and shipping would be an issue for many, but well worth it in the long run. We all spend so much time and eventually money anyway, trying to get thing right with enclosures.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I've been walking a line between just buying the plastic sheeting and making my own, so I can get the dimensions and door arrangement I want, or buying AP cages and modifying them.

So far I've bought some Vision cages and am in the process of making them work for tortoises (not snakes or lizards) and that too takes a bit of fussing around. I've looked at wonderland turtle tubs, but again they are only 80% of how I want it.

The vision cages will work I'm sure (none in use quite yet), but much retooling is required.

Didn't mean to step on the UK version of such advice sought, sorry about that. When I get a little further along in my vision cage modification I'll post some images in 'live naked people'.