Vivarium, yay or nay?

HuskyDaneMom

I think it would be fine if you can get one big enough. I know they are better for keeping heat and humidity in than an open table. They are also more aesthetically pleasing, which may be important if you keep your tort in your living room like I do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not a dumb question at all.

That style of enclosure is ideal for babies and very well suited to adults too, IF you can get it large enough. You need 4x8' for an adult. I build my own.

p_bear141

Northeast
Yes, I will be keeping him in my living room. I just can't find good info on them to tell me where the lights go, etc. :\

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephanie:

A vivarium is ideal to use as a closed chamber, but you should be aware that the screen on top filters out quite a bit of the good UVB rays put out by the light. So you would either have to not use the screen top, or cut holes for the light.

The viv pictured is ok for a baby tortoise, but way too small for an older tortoise.

If that particular model doesn't have a screen top, then you'd have to figure out the light situation. Probably a tube type UVB such as this would do nicely:
T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

Mounted on the back wall up towards the top.

For heat you would use something like this:
ceramic heat emitter.jpg

...and you could have it running on a thermostat to maintain a steady temperature.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum. :)

I think it's fine though rather small. A tort would need as much space as possible when kept indoors, as when they live outside they roam around as they please without boundaries. ;)

Any pics of your tort? :)