Vitashell advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
My sulcatas shell looks to be a bit dry, and I think he is also growing since there's a bit of white flakeyness on his shell. I'm wondering about vitashell and whether or not it would be a good idea since I've seen a lot of mixed reviews.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My opinion, it seems to be doing the job. My sulcata is outdoors all the time. I use it once a week. Her shell looks good. Lots better then it did. I'm surprised no one else has replied

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I like the vitashell for my tort, the way i do it is give tort and nice warm soak to hydrate things up, then pat tort dry, take a soft tooth brush and polish the vita shell it no the torts shell, this will allow it to go on thin and in all the growth rings. then take a paper towl and polish the excess off. now you have nice shiney tort. haha since doing this routine about once a month i never see the white flakey stuff on my torts shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didn't find any real benefit to it, but it does make the shell look nice.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Be careful with aloe and keeping him outside, It will attract ants and other insects.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
SulcataSquirt said:
Be careful with aloe and keeping him outside, It will attract ants and other insects.

If I did put it on him I could do it before bed when he'll be in for the night :)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I really think that all these similar products don't offer real benefit when I google them. They do make the shell looks shiny, because they contain oil..

I try vitamin E oil once, the one derived from wheat germ, and it also makes my tort shell shiny and nice looking. But does it offer real benefit? When the oil is gone, the shell looks just like before. Do I keep using it? Yes, sometimes on rare condition just for my selfish pleasure. But I feel that they better go with plain water. I think spraying their shells with water as many times as you can, as long your tort not getting sick, is more natural way :D

Try everything you want though, whether it is aloe vera, vita shell, olive oil, wheat oil, as long as you feel confident they do no harm to your torts :)

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Yellow Turtle said:
I really think that all these similar products don't offer real benefit when I google them. They do make the shell looks shiny, because they contain oil..

I try vitamin E oil once, the one derived from wheat germ, and it also makes my tort shell shiny and nice looking. But does it offer real benefit? When the oil is gone, the shell looks just like before. Do I keep using it? Yes, sometimes on rare condition just for my selfish pleasure. But I feel that they better go with plain water. I think spraying their shells with water as many times as you can, as long your tort not getting sick, is more natural way :D

Try everything you want though, whether it is aloe vera, vita shell, olive oil, wheat oil, as long as you feel confident they do no harm to your torts :)

I'm not really worried about his looks, like if he looks dry it's not a big deal. I just want to make sure his shell isn't uncomfortable for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.