Vitamin powder- what do you do for your torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Im just wondering what you guys do in this area and what brand is good and how often. I give them Calcium powder regularly and have given them some Reptivite powder by Zoo Med but havent been real regular with the reptivite I have Redfoots and a couple radiated. Just wondering what you crazy keepers do

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't do any supplements with the CDTs....although I may offer them cuttlebones this year ...see what they do.

The RFs eat a variety of foods...also I feed them the forrest turd looking grass things that have a variety of vitamins about 3 times per week...plus they get freeze dried shrimp mealworms crickets and also eggs chicken...I do scrape calcium onto their greens a couple times a week......so more their diet than supplements I guess.... :D

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
i just ordered some TNT from Carolinapetsupply.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
My sullys get a Centrum once a week...and minerall dusted on the veggies twice a week..

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I sprinkle on Calcium powder couple times a week and also add bird vitamins to his soaks few times a week, he never drinks during soaks but figure he is absorbing something

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This the 'Official Tortoise Library Supplement' that I use small pinches of a couple times a week, or on a meal I think is a bit skimpy, like Spring Mix:

- 1 cup Ground Timothy hay or similar dried grasses. This is mostly for fiber. I get mine by mashing up a compressed cube of hay sold for rabbits, etc. (If you tap the cube with a hammer, it separates out into layers that can be easily crumbled.)
- 1 tablespoon calcium carbonate powder. I don't particularly care if it has vitamin D in it.
- 1 human multi-vitamin and mineral tablet, ground fine. I look for one that offers iron, magnesium, vitamin E, and so on. (These are the same tablets I take a couple times a week to help ensure I too get what I need.)

Mix and store in an air-tight container. Should keep almost forever if kept dry (although the vitamins will loose effectiveness over time). Use in small pinches, like salt for a person trying to cut back.

My tortoises seem to take this mix pretty freely- more than they did plain calcium powder.

I've also thought about, but have not done, a 'Jello-vite' idea- use plain gelatin, real fruit puree (like organic baby food, and ideally a red or orange color), multi-vitamin and mineral tablets or drops, calcium liquid or powder, a bit of extra vitamin D and E supplements, and the ground up hay for fiber. Freeze in small cubes and serve well-thawed once or twice a week. I think Kristina does something like this.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I personally use Tetrafauna's Reptocal and Tetrafauna Reptolife. I just recently purchased the Reptolife vitamins. I plan on lightly sprinkling some Reptolife 1/week and Reptocal (which has a bit of D3) 2x a week. So far so good for my yearling.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks for all the different info, just wanted to know what everyone was doing. Never thought about human vitamins for them

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I very seldom put any calcium on my torts food. I do have a cuttle bone in their enclosure which they like to bite on now and then. I feed organic food only though. They seem to be doing great. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
bigred said:
Thanks for all the different info, just wanted to know what everyone was doing. Never thought about human vitamins for them

The thing is that most vertebrates use about the same ratios and kinds of vitamins. There is USUALLY not a reason to get 'targeted' vitamins for most animals or most people (but there are exceptions!)

Some study found that many 'big name' pet vitamins (I know they did reptile and I think they did some other animals) did not contain what the labels said.

So, hey- human stuff is generally cheaper and better controlled. Crush up a good vitamin/mineral tablet and have fun!

(My 'cheapskate's' source for human vitamins and supplements is http://www.PilgrimsPride.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.