calcium question.. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
This stuff should be good for now, better than nothing! With or with out D3? This will stir a discussion. If outside, NO D3. Inside with MVB, maybe yes, maybe no D3. All depends on who responds. I don't think anyone is right or wrong, but one thing is for sure, people use both, and BOTH are seccessful!

A more straight forward answer is "Yes, you do need calcium supplement"! Oh ya, I use Rep Cal!

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...d-cage-cleaners/-/rep-cal-calcium-without-d3/

chadk

10 Year Member!
D3 is mainly if you get little or no UVB (natural sunlight or good indoor light). They can actually overdose if given too much. Overdosing can be just as bad, or worse, than not getting enough.

So what is your UVB source? I would cut back until you really understand how this works.

How old and big is your tort? How much have you been giving at a time?

wyattroa

5 Year Member
My uvb source is a reptisun 10.0. It is 10in away from my guy and have read to use d3 with those. I also have a MVB bulb that i use for my bearded and give him the stuff without d3.
My tort as far as i know is about 8 months old. He wieghs in at 79g and i just put a sprinkle of the supplement on 3 times a week.

I know to supplement. I was just wondering if what i was using was alright.
robert

i think im just going to run out to the store and pick up the stuff you posted. just to be on the safe side. My guy wont be outside at all now seeing that my temps are in the 40's already.

chadk

10 Year Member!
was it 3 days a week or 5? 3 sounds better. If it is getting good UVB, I would stick to plain calc powder. But if you keep using the D3, keep it in moderation. My 2 cents.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I have nutrobal, very popular here in he UK. dust his food everyday with a little pinch not alot at all

xx

wyattroa

5 Year Member
chadk said:
was it 3 days a week or 5? 3 sounds better. If it is getting good UVB, I would stick to plain calc powder. But if you keep using the D3, keep it in moderation. My 2 cents.

Sorry its 5 days a week for my bearded and 3 for my sulcata. Im going to be running out to the store top pick new stuff up today.
robert

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I dont know if this is correct, so if I'm wrong please correct me. I base the amount of calcium I give my baby sulcata on the quantity of his urates. Since he goes in his bath tub every morning its easy to judge. If it looks like he is passing a large amount then I cut back the calcium supplement, since I'm using a MVB I am not using a calcium additive with D3.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The picture you're showing us is a vitamin and mineral supplement. It probably contains calcium, but when we suggest you supplement with calcium, we mean a calcium-only product. Something like cuttlebone or Rep-Cal or Reptocal, etc. These are powdered calcium-only products with or without D3.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.