Virus supplies worldwide comparison

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Contract-labor companies should be working with state unemployment offices to confirm temporary lay-offs.

Anyone who should avoid public spaces might investigate shop-from-home services or the pick-up-at-store options for retailers. This eliminates or at least minimizes your exposure to large numbers of strangers, and professional shoppers are now being instructed to wear gloves as they work. Look up the food store/box store/retailer you want to use and look for the online shopping option of their website (you may be redirected to an instacart or shipt type of service).

For home delivery services, you can choose to have your purchases left on your doorstep.
That's very good advice...but some of us seniors are not really modern...my cell phone is probably 10 years old...no apps nothing like that...I wouldn't know how to order uber, or home delivery...hell...I don't even order pizza delivery... go get it instead...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My bother is the Nursing director at a local hospital here. He was called in about a week ago and has been there since. My mom finally talked with him last night and asked what's going on with him. He told her he really can't talk about it but that we shouldn't panic but do take this seriously.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
That's very good advice...but some of us seniors are not really modern...my cell phone is probably 10 years old...no apps nothing like that...I wouldn't know how to order uber, or home delivery...hell...I don't even order pizza delivery... go get it instead...

Petsmart does pick-up-at-store for in-stock products. You will need to find your items, choose the pick up at store option, confirm your local store location, and set up a customer account:

Bee62

Germany
Germany report:

- all schools and play schools are closed up to the 18. of April
- rest homes are closed for visitors, hospitals too
- all public events are cancelled, theatres are closed
- Poland, Szech republic, Denmark and maybe other countries have closed their borders for visitors.
- Supermarkets in Germany ran out of toilet paper and paper towels, milk, bottled water, noodles and rice.
- Bread an meat is still available but some canned food is short. Food for cats and dogs is enough in store. Vegetables, fruits and lettuce too.
- You can`t buy any masks, gloves or disinfectans, or when to a price that is not normal.
- people can`t buy guns ( you know in Germany you need a gun license to buy, to have or to wear a gun ) but I am sure people would when they could

It is crazy here too. I have no fear to get this virus but I have fear what will happen when the panic of people increases more and more .... Nightmares of closed super markets, drugstores and other stores. Closed gas stations because they have no more gas to sell.... And the biggest fear is of people who are scared and think they have to fight for their own survivel ....Maybe I`ve seen too much seasons of "The walking dead" and "Fear the walking dead" but I love these series.?
The "nice" side of the virus is that the gas is cheap here too but why ??? I thought when borders are closed and transportations become more difficult the price will get higher ! Maybe this will be the next step. That`s why yesterday I filled the gas tank of my car now ... and I bought more canned food, milk, bread and dog and cat food too. Got some more toilet paper and other paper rolls too. Luckily it is still a little bit cold outside so that the lettuce that I bought in store for my torts maybe stays fresh for a week.
Maybe it is a good idea to have the next weeks all what you need in the house and staying away from people. Waiting for the worst but expecting the best.... or was it the other way round ??
When you know me a little you will know that I am only half seriously writing. :cool: I really have no fear to get sick and I give my torts, dogs and cats a hug and a kiss like before the damn virus crossed my life !?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Germany report:

- Poland, Szech republic, Denmark and maybe other countries have closed their borders for visitors.
- Supermarkets in Germany ran out of toilet paper and paper towels, milk, bottled water, noodles and rice.
- Bread an meat is still available but some canned food is short. Food for cats and dogs is enough in store. Vegetables, fruits and lettuce too.
- You can`t buy any masks, gloves or disinfectans, or when to a price that is not normal.
- people can`t buy guns ( you know in Germany you need a gun license to buy, to have or to wear a gun ) but I am sure people would when they could

It is crazy here too. I have no fear to get this virus but I have fear what will happen when the panic of people increases more and more .... Nightmares of closed super markets, drugstores and other stores. Closed gas stations because they have no more gas to sell.... And the biggest fear is of people who are scared and think they have to fight for their own survivel ....Maybe I`ve seen too much seasons of "The walking dead" and "Fear the walking dead" but I love these series.?
The "nice" side of the virus is that the gas is cheap here too but why ??? I thought when borders are closed and transportations become more difficult the price will get higher ! Maybe this will be the next step. That`s why yesterday I filled the gas tank of my car now ... and I bought more canned food, milk, bread and dog and cat food too. Got some more toilet paper and other paper rolls too. Luckily it is still a little bit cold outside so that the lettuce that I bought in store for my torts maybe stays fresh for a week.
Maybe it is a good idea to have the next weeks all what you need in the house and staying away from people. Waiting for the worst but expecting the best.... or was it the other way round ??
When you know me a little you will know that I am only half seriously writing. :cool: I really have no fear to get sick and I give my torts, dogs and cats a hug and a kiss like before the damn virus crossed my life !?

I feel exactly that way also...But...what about those of us who scorned this virus trouble and didn't stock up on certain things and now have no money to do it. I did stock up on Stoffers frozen meals cuz I am the worlds worse cook, I have munchies and soda...but I forgot my animals...so will venture into town today with trepidation...I need cat t-paper (they call it litter)...and bird seed...I feel those will be there are Petsmart...with the bird seed...but I need bread also and today is the day I get tortoise food for Safeway that they have save for me...I don't want to go to the Safeway...but I'm hoping Petsmart will not be like the other places...naive

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Germany report:

....Maybe I`ve seen too much seasons of "The walking dead" and "Fear the walking dead" but I love these series.?

ON a completely lighter and side note because of your comment-

Did you know "Dog" on walking dead is @Tom 's dog he handles and is also his personal pet dog?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Germany report:

Gas very cheap here. Filled up at our Sams Club for $1.96 per gallon yesterday.

Why is petrol cheap you ask? https://www.npr.org/2020/03/13/8152...ine-pandemic-and-geopolitics-send-prices-down

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some perspective:
22,000 = number of flu deaths for this season in the US.
55 = number of corona virus deaths in the US so far, with around 2,500 confirmed cases.
This "crisis" reaction doesn't match the facts.
That's for sure

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Some perspective:
22,000 = number of flu deaths for this season in the US.
55 = number of corona virus deaths in the US so far, with around 2,500 confirmed cases.

22,000 out of 36,000,000+ = .06%

55 out of 2500 = 2.2%

2.2% of 36,000,000 is 792,000

Perspective is good. Now you can see why some countries are taking such drastic measures to slow the spread or flatten the curve.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Until you look at deaths in both Iran and Italy.

Exactly. The worldwide death rate is closer to 3.5%. And the whole world has not been exposed to a detectable degree yet.

If influenza were being managed in the same way, its death rate would be far lower. But people just in the U.S. won't take the (often free) vaccine, and won't stay home when they are sick, and don't keep their kids home (there are a lot of good rationalizations for these choices that our culture has not bothered to examine and address) and the virus flourishes.

Personally, I would very much like the 3.5% of my community that is at risk for death to, you know, not die. Or get sick at all, if possible.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My daughter's work place (a grammar school) has just announced it will be closed until the middle of April. Since she works in the cafeteria, which is NOT part of our school district, but a private company, she probably will be without a paycheck for the duration. Clovis, California and Fresno unified school districts are closed until the middle of April.
Here a lot of the schools are going to hand out lunch and breakfast box meals like a drive thru for anyone. I'm just saying since your daughter works in the cafeteria she could end up having a job anyway. My sister in law's family lives in California and her sister works in the school system there. She said that California is starting that kind of stuff too.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here a lot of the schools are going to hand out lunch and breakfast box meals like a drive thru for anyone. I'm just saying since your daughter works in the cafeteria she could end up having a job anyway. My sister in law's family lives in California and her sister works in the school system there. She said that California is starting that kind of stuff too.
Same here schools are closed but the buses are running to the bus stops and delivering lunches to any children that need one.