Virus supplies worldwide comparison

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
New Mexico here. Northern part of state. Supposedly "unconfirmed" cases nearby. And supposedly a "confirmed" case just over the state border(about an hour away).

We have been placed under a no more than a 100 ppl gathering rule, only exception being churches. Thus places like SAMS are doing head counts. There are lines to even go in, once inside, lines to get your allotment of water, paper products, etc. ((IF they have it.))

As of Monday, schools here are closed for at least 3 weeks. And our local college hasn't yet made a determination as to what they are going to do yet. ((Our college also contains a high school for advanced kids.)) Kids are on spring break here come Monday, so I am assuming the college will make a decision once it is time to go back. Lots of push for computer/online courses, as we are an area where the kids are issued a computer in 1st grade and keep it until graduation. The college also insists all students have a computer. All sports are canceled. All academic meets are canceled. All theater shows canceled.

I "saw" this crap coming and did my shopping a couple of weeks ago, although I didn't do anything like buy enough for a year or anything. I am glad I did, as I wouldn't even currently step in any stores locally. The people in the house have enough supplies for awhile. As do the pets. This is one of those times when I am glad that I have two fridges, two freezers, and a pantry. Also glad that I grow a lot of Pistachio's food.

And whether folks like it or not. I checked the cabinets/fridges, but I also checked the ammo situation.
I am not afraid of the virus, and maybe that is dumb? I am more afraid of how people are reacting.

-Meg
"How people are reacting"is already pretty poor.
Most Americans are armed. And a lot of us are NUTS!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
"How people are reacting"is already pretty poor.
Most Americans are armed. And a lot of us are NUTS!
I am a member of 111% here in Oregon...I so believe in owning and open carry guns...But with the run on guns I don't understand...I've been asking...What'cha gonna do Oregon...shoot sick people?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So no Pac 12, no school, no NBA, no baseball, in Oregon gatherings of 250 people is illegal, no t-paper, empty store shelves, cheaper gas. But...my prayers have been answered because NASCAR announced that the next 2 NASCAR races, Atlanta, and Homestead will run...without spectators...good for me...not for the 100,000 fans who will miss the race in person, and NASCAR will lose so much income it boggles my mind...Hurrah for NASCAR and all it's loyal fans...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So no Pac 12, no school, no NBA, no baseball, in Oregon gatherings of 250 people is illegal, no t-paper, empty store shelves, cheaper gas. But...my prayers have been answered because NASCAR announced that the next 2 NASCAR races, Atlanta, and Homestead will run...without spectators...good for me...not for the 100,000 fans who will miss the race in person, and NASCAR will lose so much income it boggles my mind...Hurrah for NASCAR and all it's loyal fans...
It doesn't make sense either because there is literally thousands of fans that were going to the race camping out and tailgating outside the track to listen to the race. Might as well just let them in lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am a member of 111% here in Oregon...I so believe in owning and open carry guns...But with the run on guns I don't understand...I've been asking...What'cha gonna do Oregon...shoot sick people?
Open carry always made more sense to me. Florida is concealed carry only.
I'm also licensed.
Carrying guns is a strange concept to non Americans. (And to some Americans)
I've had some long, drawn out conversations about how I rationalize it. And I must admit that the reasons are real and unfortunate. At least one forum member and I no longer speak because of my views.
I guess it crosses into our wise policy of NO RELIGION OR POLITICS posts.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm in the small town of Colonial Beach Va, Everything is normal here. the only grocery store in town is a Food Lion and shelves were full of all products except no powdered milk and only 3 bottles of coke zero in the big bottles yesterday. Today I went to the great valu store a couple miles outside of town to get ground beef for $1.99 a pound and their shelves were full, they had powdered milk and coke zero. Filled the truck up with gas yesterday for $1.96 a gallon. Everyone I've talked to about the virus here is expecting it to show up but not panicking about it. Also almost all my friends here are over 65 years old and been through times like this before. Everybody Stay Safe.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm in the small town of Colonial Beach Va, Everything is normal here. the only grocery store in town is a Food Lion and shelves were full of all products except no powdered milk and only 3 bottles of coke zero in the big bottles yesterday. Today I went to the great valu store a couple miles outside of town to get ground beef for $1.99 a pound and their shelves were full, they had powdered milk and coke zero. Filled the truck up with gas yesterday for $1.96 a gallon. Everyone I've talked to about the virus here is expecting it to show up but not panicking about it. Also almost all my friends here are over 65 years old and been through times like this before. Everybody Stay Safe.
Thanks for that report.
Nice to know that the entire U.S. east coast hasn't gone nuts.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Morro Bay, CA. Only thing missing from grocery store is toilet paper. I got excited about the gas after seeing this thread this morning but unfortunately it hasn’t changed. 3.33/gal. My county was apparently one of the highest prices in the nation as of a couple weeks ago. The news says there are no confirmed cases in my county yet but I’m skeptical. We’re smack dab in the middle of LA and San Francisco so I’m sure it’s worked it’s way up or down already. My little tort is sleeping, munching and cruising so I’m happy. Best of luck to all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My daughter went shopping after work today (Clovis, California) at Winco (a big warehouse type grocery store) and she said there were lines of people trying to get to the paper goods aisle and by the time my daughter got to the aisle, the shelves were empty - no T-paper or paper towels, etc. She said the store and parking lot were very crowded.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
A pandemic a natural disaster.

The only difference to things like massive floods, blizzards, and earthquakes is that infrastructure remains intact.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just got an email...Corvallis Oregon from the Pastor of my church...all services are cancelled, his sermon will be live on-line, all the life groups cancelled...the groups who help the poor...and there are notices on FB...from truckers, bikers, farmers sending out notices in different counties, including phone numbers, call us we are setting up contacts to help the poor with necessities, diapers, food etc. It's a Grass Roots thing and I am proud of the groups in my area who are doing this...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Governor of California has ruled that groups larger than 250 people can't meet. That means the school where my daughter works has to serve half the kids their lunch outside and the other half in the cafeteria, as they serve more than 250 kids at a time.

This doesn't make sense to me. What do they do with the kids in the cafeteria when they're finished with their lunch?

Will told me that some of the reptile shows where he had planned to be a vendor have cancelled their shows.

Poke the Turtle

Virginia
Just stocked up on supplies, the stores were very empty, lucky, just in time to grab some of the essentials before they were gone. Good luck all, remember, this probably isn’t a big deal as it seems, we WILL get through this. Best of wishes to all of you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Governor of California has ruled that groups larger than 250 people can't meet. That means the school where my daughter works has to serve half the kids their lunch outside and the other half in the cafeteria, as they serve more than 250 kids at a time.

This doesn't make sense to me. What do they do with the kids in the cafeteria when they're finished with their lunch?

Will told me that some of the reptile shows where he had planned to be a vendor have cancelled their shows.
Oregon has the same 250 people...I know I'm just a dumb broad...and even tho I am deficient in math...isn't 250 people enough to start and infection...all it takes is one right??? ...Just sayin

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Illinois 32 case. Governor cancelled all schools K-12. Crowd limit of 250 no more but not mandated yet.
Cleaning supplies and can goods shelves empty this morning when I went too Target.
People are over reacting and it's ridiculous. Several people that has had the virus has stated it's worse then a cold not as bad as the flu. The shortage of toilet paper is too funny, there is no diarrhea associated with the virus. Only the elderly and those with compromised health need to worry. This has gotten out of hand.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I’m in MA, central so far enough away from Boston where there’s I think over 100 now (I’ve been trying to tune it out) and most of those are linked to one conference. Went to my Walmart close to home, no TP, 2 packs of flushable wet wipes though jammed far back on their shelf, so I got those (we only have 4 rolls left and if this is going to be ongoing I needed to get my hands on some, sometime while I was in the produce section (corned beef and cabbage week!!) they brought out a pallet of TP and hordes pretty much ran to the section, I got there later because I hate people and only got a 6 pack of the quilted stuff, walking through and see people with 3 24 packs of them sheesh, made me mad. Cat food aisle was picked over but not totally empty, picked up a month supply and a big thing of litter because we are nearly empty. Meat was picked over but not totally empty. Definitely no hand sanitizer, alcohol, peroxide, bleach, Lysol, Clorox, dish soap, sponges. I’m just glad I was able to get tortoise food, it’s still too cold to pick any outside.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Idk about grocery stores but the Taco Bell and Burger King appear to be fully operational, no shortages.