Vine ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
These plants grow in the same area as the paper mulberry trees, which is heavily shaded, to filtered morning sun.I think I have seen these vines before but cant remember when or where.The bulb looking things start new plants. The leaves get to about 5 inches across. They would make a good ground cover in a shaded area.Anyone know what they are? Len

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure, because I have no first hand knowledge of this weed, but I THINK its this one:

Madeira Vine
Anredera cordifolia
Soft, thick, fleshy, bright green, heart-shaped leaves alternately arranged. Stems with aerial tubers that are brownish in colour. Flowers are small, greenish-cream, cream or white in long sprays in autumn. Flowers are fragrant and numerous in dense clumps. Often found growing along fences - it has the ability to climb to 40 metres likes fertile soils.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I looked at both of your suggestions(google)The leaves look just like the dioscorea leaves, but that plant is hardy to zone 9 and a sun lover, I'm in zone 7 and they are growing in the shade,the older vines that I turned over while digging only had a root system no large bulb, and the young plants were growing from the little bulbs that I guess had fallen from a vine and rooted.The veins in the leaves of the madeira vine are different than these.Thanks, Art and Yvonne, I'll keep looking.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I'm beginning to lean more toward Yvonne's assessment. In either case, it sounds like eradication is the best option unless invasive vines are desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.