VETTING POTENTIAL RESCUE RECIPIENTS

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Alright, count me for whatever you want, I'm not a rescue and haven't adopted from a rescue yet, but I plan to, and will face these things.
Personally I understand why a yard inspection is important, especially since I want to rescue an older male sulcata I'm understanding why it would be important. But my problem is I'm in MA, and yes I will have to have a lot set up and worked out to have a good home for a sulcata and will probably run into many who will tell me the climates too cold and I cant, but honestly I could go out and buy one anyways, but that's not what I want, I can answer to anyone that the reason I want to adopt is not because of cost but because there are so many tortoises who need a loving knowledgeable home. But being in MA I guarantee I'll run into issues with finding a local sulcata, so to me home inspection seems like it could be a hang up, I don't see it as invasion of privacy since I don't have to do it and they also don't have to give me a tort, but if they're not willing to come out to inspect that would cause problems. Especially since i'm more than willing to hop in an SUV and drive to wherever I need to to get the tortoise. I'd be more than willing to work out a video tour of the house and set up the tortoise would live in and discuss from there, but when the time comes I think it will be important that a rescue works with people who are special cases, since i'm willing to work harder to show i'm a good home as well (including extra recommendations or anything asked of me). I truly believe a rescue has to be somewhat flexible to be successful. That's my personal opinion.

I also completely agree with the not being allowed to sell and having to return to the rescue if anything arises. But I do have issues with a rescue being allowed to take back a pet if "treated improper" without a strict set of guidelines to what that is so a pet that's mine doesn't get taken back after its been with me for years, I recall reading a different thread where people agree with that.

And as a personal thing about me, i'd be sure to check in with the rescue at least once a year to let them know everything's well and how the rescue is doing. Seems valid to do since they took the animal in and possibly nursed it to health in bad conditions, they deserve to know how things are. Kind of like students going back to old teachers and saying how their life is, it has to be nice to know right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
,maybe a photo of the yard.

I have had first hand experience with someone using the photo of someone else's yard. It just so happened that I knew the people whose yard they tried to fool me with.

I agree that a signed piece of paper is only as good as the ink it was written with. I used to have adopters initial places on my adoption form saying that they agreed with what was printed there, which included giving me back the tortoise if they could no longer care for it. I found out many times that tortoise I had adopted out got moved to other homes and other care givers.

We can only do what we can do. In my case, I look at the yard to be sure it is a safe yard for a tortoise. I listen to the people who want to adopt and make sure they know what they're getting into. I feel I've done my part in making sure the tortoise has gone to a good home. That's all I can do.