VETTING POTENTIAL RESCUE RECIPIENTS

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
We get several miscellaneous turtles and tortoises that need new homes. Lately i have been getting an increase in people wanting a rescued tortoise (usually sulcatas). Many prefer e-mail communications, i always ask them to send a name, contact number and a picture of the habitat where the tortoise is going to be housed. I also ask what size, etc. they are interested in. This weeds out many, unsure why, however about half never returns any further e-mails. Sometimes i ask why they want a rescue and many of times they say because they can not afford to purchase one. This usually deters me from seriously considering them for one, basically i feel they are more than likely not able to care or feed one properly, etc. We are fortunate that we have several reliable sources that have been fantastic with taking many species. I am interested in what others do to qualify and consider someone for a possible rescued tortoise? Any thoughts and opinion welcome!

Delilah1623

I would ask if they own or rent their home for large species, for personal and vet references and their past pet history.... what pets they've had, do they still have them and if not the reason for that.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
when I'm older i hope i can own a tortoise rescue:D! but right now my parents say i have to many tortoises:(........i only have 3:p

Just show up with them that's what I used to do. Lol. I ended up having quite a bit of pets before I was 18. Largest group I had at one time was probably close to 50 different pets.

Convincing parents are easy dude. Wait until you get married. It gets a little tense in the house every time I show up with another pet.

— Gus

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
We get several miscellaneous turtles and tortoises that need new homes. Lately i have been getting an increase in people wanting a rescued tortoise (usually sulcatas). Many prefer e-mail communications, i always ask them to send a name, contact number and a picture of the habitat where the tortoise is going to be housed. I also ask what size, etc. they are interested in. This weeds out many, unsure why, however about half never returns any further e-mails. Sometimes i ask why they want a rescue and many of times they say because they can not afford to purchase one. This usually deters me from seriously considering them for one, basically i feel they are more than likely not able to care or feed one properly, etc. We are fortunate that we have several reliable sources that have been fantastic with taking many species. I am interested in what others do to qualify and consider someone for a possible rescued tortoise? Any thoughts and opinion welcome!

Perhaps a requirement to potential owners can be to be a member on TFO and/or read that species care sheet. Just a suggestion.

— Gus

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Just show up with them that's what I used to do. Lol. I ended up having quite a bit of pets before I was 18. Largest group I had at one time was probably close to 50 different pets.

Convincing parents are easy dude. Wait until you get married. It gets a little tense in the house every time I show up with another pet.

— Gus
my dad is fine with my torts:D! but my mom doesn't like them:mad:! also they might be forcing me to move next year:(

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
but why!!!!??? i was a thousand!!!(in an upset child's voice)

— Gus

my dad is fine with my torts:D! but my mom doesn't like them:mad:! also they might be forcing me to move next year:(
Because of the torts?????

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Perhaps a requirement to potential owners can be to be a member on TFO and/or read that species care sheet. Just a suggestion.

~ I pitch that strongly with every one, especially our aldabra customers! :):cool::p:D

— Gus

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
but why!!!!??? i was a thousand!!!(in an upset child's voice)
I wanted a RES really bad when I was 16 living with my dad and step mom, my dad was fine but not the step mom. She went on & on about the germs & what not! I was sooooooooooo angry I couldn't get a baby RES, so I bought the next best thing I could hide, a tarantula :)

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
I wanted a RES really bad when I was 16 living with my dad and step mom, my dad was fine but not the step mom. She went on & on about the germs & what not! I was sooooooooooo angry I couldn't get a baby RES, so I bought the next best thing I could hide, a tarantula :)
lol

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
What about experience and referrals? And asking questions in regards to and how would these individuals would take care of this tortoise besides seeing a picture of the set up. So this way you see if they have knowledge of their diet, hide area, heat source, soaking them, even in the future/ideas for the sullys. These people have to realize that these tortoises are not going to go to just any home... These are very large tortoises and need a very special home which is very important!! Unless they are already full grown. Maybe ask the people why they should have the tortoise and not someone else. What do they have to offer. It's obvious it cost a lot of money to have one large sulcata for a food and to have something very sturdy and build safely for them in a large area for them to roam and graze. This is what's best for the tortoise.

M

Maggie Cummings

My sister as you know has been involved in chelonian rescue for 35 years or so. She does not ask any money for adoption, and she won't ship...but she MUST do a yard inspection. That way she can really see how the people live and if they know what's going on and she makes sure the yard is safe for whatever tortoise. She educates them some about care and feeding and off she goes. I have been on many yard inspections with her and she's tough.Have a patched together fence? No tortoise for you...have a swimming pool? No tortoise for you...She'll probably give more info, but she makes the process as easy on herself and the tortoise as she can...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When I handled the few adoptions for my CTTC chapter, I always did an on-site inspection. As long as they had the basics in place and were willing to learn more, I was satisfied. The new owners received care sheets and TFO cards plus they had the ok to email me with questions, anytime.

There are people out there that may not be in a position to drop $100+ on a tortoise yet can still provide a great home. A large grassy/weed full yard can provide most of the diet. An existing secure fence could require no additional costs for a "tort yard" and little things like water dishes or simple shelters could be set up with minimal expenses , too. I'm just sharing that as food for thought....

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would definitely do a home inspection. And if they seem close but have a few issues or seen truly willing and able to research and learn about proper care give them a chance to correct them. Even if they don't take that particular tortoise at that moment they may be a very good candidate for another when it comes down the line.