Vet unsure ?

Dave1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester uk
My vet does not seem to know what the problem is. I took my horsfield tortoise (about 3/4 years old)to the vets about two weeks ago as he was having a problem doing a wee ( and poo but not as bad) it puts him off having food sometime , its only the last 5/6 weeks this has been happening , he sometimes backs into a corner to try and wee and every time his man thing keeps coming out instead with very little wee, I noticed the last couple of months his tail has got a lot larger . The thing is last time at the vets he put this instrument up his tail and said he is all clear up there and there is not a blockage and also tested for his breathing and said that was fine and his heart is fine as well. It cost £35 to tell me he is fine but he is not there is still this problem . I have told the vet maybe X-ray would be the next thing to do , but he has to see him again( to tell me he looks fine £35.. And then a X-ray £75 , if I have to pay this ok but not to happy with the vets saying he is fine and my tort is just saying I'm a boy

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So what is the problem exactly? From what I read here, you have a male tortoise that backs into the corner and pops his man junk out---? I don't see a problem here, he will likely do this alot, if it feels good he will do it ...why not?

Perhaps he is not trying to pee...perhaps he is just playing with his goods???

What is your enclosure set up like? I mean, perhaps you can place a smooth kinda flat rounded rock (the same size as him) in the enclosure that he can, well, be friendly with....see if he begins to use the rock instead of the corner...either really does not matter.

Is the tortoise still eating? If he has just discovered his goods then he may be preoccupied with that fun and not eating as much....but if he is still eating, still basking, still exercising (lol..well, sounds as though he is exercising :p) and not signs of RI...then check all of your enclosure for proper set up, make sure the tort has a low sided water dish that he can go in and out of to keep hydrated and then let him be for a bit to see what his behavior evolves to now...

Dave1

5 Year Member
Manchester uk
Thanks for the reply, it's not just when he is in the corner , I tried putting him on the floor in my bedroom(laminated floor with underfloor heating set just right for him and I make sure the floor is hoovered first and keep an eye on him before I put him back in his home, he then has a bit to eat then after a bit he will try have a wee his back legs go wide and his neck and head stick out and I can see he is trying to wee but his thing comes out out a inch or so and no wee then he tries again two or three times then a bit of wee will come out,it can be the same when he has a poo, it's not sometimes it's all the time he needs to go, he is getting all the wright foods and lightings and everything but it's only happen in the last 5/6 weeks and about a month after I noticed his tail was wider ( prob his man thing moving down that region) I was just wondering if anyone else on this site has had a similar problems with their tort, I mean maybe it could be because he's coming on heat and this is the normal thing to happen , just hope someone on here may have had the same problem with there tort and could help ,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think he's trying to wee. I think he's doing what males do. They don't typically evert their penis when they pee. They can, but they usually don't except in the case of newly maturing male who seems to enjoy flaunting his stuff.

If he's actually having trouble pooping and peeing then soaks are the way to go. Every day for 20-30 minutes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't think he's trying to wee. I think he's doing what males do.

I agree.....he is simply getting his groove on....you may be seeing it differently...

Also, if he is still consuming food as usual he is likely not blocked up...but like Tom suggested, soaks are a good thing and don't be surprised if he realizes the warm water makes for a fun spot as well....:p:p:p:p:p

Dave1

5 Year Member
Manchester uk
Thanks everyone for your help and I can understand hoW it looks and he maybe doing his man thing a lot in the last few weeks But he is 100% trying to wee and poo as I've been in the same room all weekend with him 24/7 and he is not eating as well has he did before all this and when he does wee / poo it's only bits as he is only eating a small amounts of food , used to bath him 3 times a week but last few weeks he is having one every day , he is well in him self and running around ok but I can not see him like he is straining every time he tries to do one so just to put my mind at rest I will take himfor a X-ray

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They do get bladder stones. And a stone that is blocking the "pipes" can kill a tortoise if not taken care of. So better safe than sorry - vet/X-ray time.

Dave1

5 Year Member
Manchester uk
Thanks sounds best thing to do , will take him in morning and let you no how it goes :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I will take himfor a X-ray

If he is not eating as usual and not acting business as usual, then this certainly will not harm anything to double check....you see, we can only go by what we see and what is shared. You on the other hand are there, live and in person---and if your gut is solidly telling you something is wrong---then do confirm yes or no by all means...

If by chance the little one is a little backed up then perhaps the stress from the trip will cause him to well, get a burst of push and get it out....

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
ascott said:
So what is the problem exactly? From what I read here, you have a male tortoise that backs into the corner and pops his man junk out---? I don't see a problem here, he will likely do this alot, if it feels good he will do it ...why not?

Perhaps he is not trying to pee...perhaps he is just playing with his goods???

What is your enclosure set up like? I mean, perhaps you can place a smooth kinda flat rounded rock (the same size as him) in the enclosure that he can, well, be friendly with....see if he begins to use the rock instead of the corner...either really does not matter.

Is the tortoise still eating? If he has just discovered his goods then he may be preoccupied with that fun and not eating as much....but if he is still eating, still basking, still exercising (lol..well, sounds as though he is exercising :p) and not signs of RI...then check all of your enclosure for proper set up, make sure the tort has a low sided water dish that he can go in and out of to keep hydrated and then let him be for a bit to see what his behavior evolves to now...

Good to know in advance.......My male Hermann always like to do that. but the two female Hermann seems not very impressed.