URGENT Please help! Speedy is deteriorating.

Speedy101

Location (City and/or State)
North East England
I posted not long ago about speedy vomiting, he got wormed, hasn’t ate on own in 2 weeks but got tube fed at the vet on Tuesday. Hasn’t defecated or vomited in 2 weeks nearly but has urinated and passed mucus that look like it contained small worms. The problem is he can’t walk! This happened a couple of days after vomiting episode and medication. All of his legs can move but he cannot walk on his own I’m so worried. He got an X-ray and everything was fine on it, no blockages and lungs are fine. Does anyone have any idea why this has happened? I know most will probably think calcium deficiency but this happened within the time frame of him being suddenly unwell. He was a strong tortoise before and still was until a couple of days after worming medicine. Back at vet next Tuesday for second worming and I am soaking in carrots and reptoboost ( on different days). I was concerned about renal failure but he has no stones and is not puffy and would this not show enlarged kidneys on X-ray? Is it possible he is just extremely lethargic from a heavy parasite load?( not confirmed which parasite, vet saw eggs in a dried, tiny poo sample and because of vomiting, wormed him). I have been unsuccessful in getting a proper poo sample.He has passed more mucus today is this flagellates? Could they cause these symptoms? Please any opinions why isn’t my boy walking?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I posted not long ago about speedy vomiting, he got wormed, hasn’t ate on own in 2 weeks but got tube fed at the vet on Tuesday. Hasn’t defecated or vomited in 2 weeks nearly but has urinated and passed mucus that look like it contained small worms. The problem is he can’t walk! This happened a couple of days after vomiting episode and medication. All of his legs can move but he cannot walk on his own I’m so worried. He got an X-ray and everything was fine on it, no blockages and lungs are fine. Does anyone have any idea why this has happened? I know most will probably think calcium deficiency but this happened within the time frame of him being suddenly unwell. He was a strong tortoise before and still was until a couple of days after worming medicine. Back at vet next Tuesday for second worming and I am soaking in carrots and reptoboost ( on different days). I was concerned about renal failure but he has no stones and is not puffy and would this not show enlarged kidneys on X-ray? Is it possible he is just extremely lethargic from a heavy parasite load?( not confirmed which parasite, vet saw eggs in a dried, tiny poo sample and because of vomiting, wormed him). I have been unsuccessful in getting a proper poo sample.He has passed more mucus today is this flagellates? Could they cause these symptoms? Please any opinions why isn’t my boy walking?

I'm so sorry that Speedy is sick. I don't have any help to offer, but know that I'm praying for him.

Maybe @zovick or
@GMDVM can help.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Yes - prayers to Speedy. Make sure he is comfortable and gets lots of love, and the walking problem is probably because either it hurts really bad or he is just so sick that he doesn't want to walk and instead just wants to sleep. Either way, we are all praying for him and everyone hopes that he will get better.

Speedy101

North East England
Yes - prayers to Speedy. Make sure he is comfortable and gets lots of love, and the walking problem is probably because either it hurts really bad or he is just so sick that he doesn't want to walk and instead just wants to sleep. Either way, we are all praying for him and everyone hopes that he will get better.

Thank you very much, his eyes are still bright and alert. Hopefully this is good sign.

zovick

10 Year Member!
The tortoise may have amoebiasis which can result in mucousy stools. This would need to be treated with Flagyl (metronidazole). The vomiting can be a result of amoebiasis also, but vomiting may also be a sign of cryptosporidium infestation. Cryptosporidium is treated with Paramomycin (monomycin or aminosidine), but it is never considered cured. The affected animal must be quarantined and treated weekly for life if it survives.

Both of the above problems would need to be diagnosed by a good vet and the appropriate treatment begun if one of both parasites are found to be present.

Hopefully your tortoise has neither of the above, but they should be ruled out since the tortoise is getting worse even after being wormed. Do you know what medication was used?

Speedy101

North East England
The tortoise may have amoebiasis which can result in mucousy stools. This would need to be treated with Flagyl (metronidazole). The vomiting can be a result of amoebiasis also, but vomiting may also be a sign of cryptosporidium infestation. Cryptosporidium is treated with Paramomycin (monomycin or aminosidine), but it is never considered cured. The affected animal must be quarantined treated weekly for life if it survives.

Both of the above problems would need to be diagnosed by a good vet and the appropriate treatment begun if one of both parasites are found to be present.

Hopefully your tortoise has neither of the above, but they should be ruled out since the tortoise is getting worse even after being wormed. Do you know what medication was used?

I don’t I’m afraid I should’ve asked. How can we rule these out? blood test? My vet deals with lots of reptiles and has his own tortoise. He seems knowledgeable about them. Can speedy wait until next Tuesday or is this urgent? I don’t want to make him worse with extra stress from vets but if it’s necessary of course.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I don’t I’m afraid I should’ve asked. How can we rule these out? blood test? My vet deals with lots of reptiles and has his own tortoise. He seems knowledgeable about them. Can speedy wait until next Tuesday or is this urgent? I don’t want to make him worse with extra stress from vets but if it’s necessary of course.
These are usually diagnosed through examination of stool samples and/or swabbing the cloaca. I think the mucus stool would suffice if you cannot get a normal sample. As far as urgency, neither of the problems I mentioned are simple ones. Both can be life-threatening, especially the crypto. You would have to decide if you think the tortoise can wait till next week or not. We don't know if it really has either of these parasites at this point, but diagnosing the actual culprit is the key to the treatment and the outcome. Maybe you can take the tortoise tomorrow for a swab and check-up with or without any matter (mucus or feces) which has been passed through the cloaca to the outside.

Roxanneizded

Texas
I'm sorry for your stress. It sounds like Speedy has a very large parasite load. Sometimes, a large infusion of medication can be detrimental and some vets choose a smaller dose everyday for a number of days. For now, increase his ambient temperature to 90-95 degrees F. Soak him in warm plain Pedialyte. You can make your own electrolyte solution. Soak 3 to 4 times a day 30 minutes at a time. Hydration is everything. I believe he might pull through. Let's stay positive. Be sure his environment is clean.

Speedy101

North East England
These are usually diagnosed through examination of stool samples and/or swabbing the cloaca. I think the mucus stool would suffice if you cannot get a normal sample. As far as urgency, neither of the problems I mentioned are simple ones. Both can be life-threatening, especially the crypto. You would have to decide if you think the tortoise can wait till next week or not. We don't know if it really has either of these parasites at this point, but diagnosing the actual culprit is the key to the treatment and the outcome. Maybe you can take the tortoise tomorrow for a swab and check-up with or without any matter (mucus or feces) which has been passed through the cloaca to the outside.

Okay thank you very much for your help, I will ring tomorrow and hope for the best.

Speedy101

North East England
I'm sorry for your stress. It sounds like Speedy has a very large parasite load. Sometimes, a large infusion of medication can be detrimental and some vets choose a smaller dose everyday for a number of days. For now, increase his ambient temperature to 90-95 degrees F. Soak him in warm plain Pedialyte. You can make your own electrolyte solution. Soak 3 to 4 times a day 30 minutes at a time. Hydration is everything. I believe he might pull through. Let's stay positive. Be sure his environment is clean.
I believe Reptoboost is similar to pedialyte, it has electrolytes and glucose in it along with other vitamins. I have been soaking and he has been drinking a lot. I hope you are right, I would be devastated if I were to lose him. Thanks for your help.

AZGirl

Arizona
I am such a newbie, but will also say some prayers for Speedy And you! ???

Speedy101

North East England
Good luck! And be sure to let us know if you do go to the vet and anything is discovered tomorrow.

Speedy has just made a high pitched squeal when weeing and then had this thick discharge around his cloaca, I’ve bottled for vet although I don’t know if it’s much use. Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks again.

Attachments

• 40D3E1BE-C459-48C8-A089-B0DA62F82682.jpeg
    40D3E1BE-C459-48C8-A089-B0DA62F82682.jpeg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 84