Vet Tech by Trade, Tortoise Rescuer by Hobby!

Altah

Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
A big hello from sleepy (and currently cold!) New Mexico!

Im a full time veterinary technician at a small but very busy emergency clinic. We are also very lucky to have the equipment to see a wide range of exotics on a regular basis. However that also means I see some very sad cases of poor husbandry on our little tortoise friends! I do my best to provide the very education to our clients and medical therapies when needed.

I currently have two tortoises, both surrendered to me by clients. The first being a very rambunctious young Sulcata, the previous owner thought she was doing the right thing by saving it from another person who was going to set it free into the wild! She did have his best interests in mind but had no idea how much work this little guys going to need. Fortunately he's found his way to my home and has been thriving!

My second tortoise is quite a bit sadder case. An adult female Sonoran Desert Tortoise, who's age I'm not quite sure of. The previous owners got her as an adult and had since had her for 26 years! Unfortunately she is currently dealing with a large abscess with fungal infiltrates the spans from one front limb to the other, the poor thing has only been able to peek her head out from time to time. Fortunately I have the time and ability to feed, hydrate and medicate her. We have been removing the mass but it is a slow complex process. In her original diagnostics we also found she has a very large bladder stone in her left accessory bladder. I know it seems like a lot for this old lady but she has been going strong and I have hope for her future.

I am very excited to be a part of this forum and hope that I can provide assistance to any who need it!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
Remember refer the tortoise and turtle people here. :)
Excelsior.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome! This is a great place to share knowledge and learn. Glad to have you here.

M

Maggie Cummings

Wow, keep us posted on her would ya? We LOVE pictures too....Welcome from Oregon...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Welcome from Las Vegas! What part of New Mexico? (I grew up in Las Cruces)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I have been really lucky, so I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of most health issues. What I really enjoy and appreciate are folks who take the time to do lots of pictures and make a thread showing how things looked, how they are progressing, what treatments they have done and/or are still doing. Would love it, if you could do such a thread for us. Thanks! :)