very upset and rather put out

Status
Not open for further replies.

helensky

5 Year Member
I feel awful. My poor tortoise Tallis was stolen not a month after I got him. I've been away recently to be with my grandfather who is dying, and left tortie in the care of my mother, under strict care instructions. She left him in the garden enclosure -with a A4 sheet above it saying 'the tortoise is in' (visible from the street) to prevent my small brothers damaging him- and went out. Tallis was gone when she got back - i spent a few months making the enclosure tortoise-proof so we know he hasn't escaped, and apparently there is no sign of disturbed soil so we know he hasn't dug himself in.
Some horrible disgusting sod has stolen my baby tortoise. I spent so long making sure he couldn't get out himself it didnt occur to me someone would go and nick him.

And to top it all my mother didn't tell me this for a week (I'm still away from home), and broke it to me by saying 'I've lost the tortoise but its ok a new one is coming tomorrow' - like it's a frigging dvd or something! I know its silly as I had him such a short time, but i really cared for that tortoise i was looking forward to having him the rest of my life, and it feels like there's an imposter in his place now - my pet i never met. Nevertheless she is under strict instructions not to let the thing out of her sight, and to put up posters begging for Tallis back. I feel so guilty I didnt make the outdoor enclosure theft proof :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Your Mom was trying to do the right thing with both the note and now replacing your tortoise. Be nice to her, she is feeling lots of guilt right now, too. Very few of us imagine anybody stealing one of our animals, but it happens. You can keep beating yourself up because you failed to think of everything to protect your little one, but it won't help. Truth is, none of us can completely cover all the possible things that can happen to our tortoises. A better use of your energies and time is to make your new tortoise's environment safer..which is sounds like your already doing atleast mentally.

Don't give up hope on your lost one. It actually may have found some hidden way out of it's pen or be doing one of those amazing invisible tortoise routines and will show up. A neighborhood kid may have taken it and his/her parents may descover this and make him/her return it. Treat it as a lost, not stolen tortoise. It gives you more avenues to get the word out and maybe recover your tortoise.

I am sorry for the current lost tortoise situation, but am keeping fingers crossed it will be returned.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sorry to hear your story. I hope things work out for you. I am sure your mom was doing what she thought best. Non-tort people don't understand our connection with our shelled ones like we do. Good Luck!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't want to sound mean, but are you sure it was stolen? I know w elike to think of our enclosures as "escape proof" but in my long exp turtles are usually masters of escape, even when we think they can't escape they sometimes still do. I am just saying don't be so quick to judge. as for your mom I am sure her heart was in the right place, and try not to be so mean about it. here's hoping he/she finds it's way back.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
WHen you get home dig up the enclosure sometimes they dig in and hide. I thought mine escaped the other day, but he was hiding somewhere still don't know where.. but it popped out during the day when i turned on the mist. Also your mom was trying to be nice, I hope everything works.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
helensky, It is really ruff to lose a tort no matter what the circumstances. Sometimes they get out. Sometimes they are let out. Sometimes they are stolen. Regardless of what has happened he is not there. Ask your mom to make or have your small brothers make and put up flyers in the area. If a kid did take it hopefully its parents will see the sign and do the right thing and return Tallis to you.

I know it’s hard when you leave your beloved pet in the care of family and something bad happens. It’s hard on everyone. Right now you are away from home, everything is out of your control and you are angry. Use the time you have left away from home to think this through.
In your heart you know she did not do this on purpose and her not telling you right away, well perhaps she was hoping to find him. And getting you another trying to right the wrong she feels she did. I know your heart is hurt I hope you know so is hers not only for the loss of your tort but for the heartache she has brought you.

And although when you get home Tallis may not be in his enclosure and another tort may, they have a way of hooking your heart. Embrace your new tortoise it does not know the circumstances that brought him/her to you. It only knows you will be its loving keeper. Who knows you may end up with two.

I am sorry Tallis is not at home and I will be saying prayers for his return. I am sorry for the hurt this has caused you and your mom. And my congratulations to you for your new tort and the kindness towards it I know you will have the moment you look into it’s innocent face.

Please keep us updated.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am so sorry to hear that. Maybe he will come back or if your family put up flyers someone will see him and return him. It must be a very hard time for you, with your tortoise missing and your grandfather sick. I really hope your family are going to find your little tortoise. It is really nice of you to stay with your grandfather :) Good luck!

helensky

5 Year Member
I'm not really angry with Mum, I know she was trying very hard and she and my brothers have combed the garden for him, he is so tiny I just cant see how he could have escaped. Still hoping he'll reappear. I just thought if I could have a bit of a vent anywhere it would be here - she told me the day I found out my grandpa was terminal as well and could of handled the whole thing a bit better but I have more important things to be worried about right now than being angry. Just the cherry on the cake for this week I think, at least when I get back in a few weeks there will be a Tortoise of some description to stay busy with.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Im really sorry to hear about Tallis and your grandfather, i would hate to loose any of my torts, they are all special.
Hubby said that they should have a collective name instead of the individual names because he cant remember who they are or their names, the kids just call them minis friends..
Anyway good luck with finding Tallis

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What terrible news you had to hear...both your grandfather and your tort. Be strong...He may still surprise you and then you'll have two to love. Prayers are with you and your family now.......

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
helen, Times like these are never easy. I did not even mention your Grandfather and I am sorry. I am sending prayers and good thoughts your way to lighten you load and help mend your breaking heart. Hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.