Very New Mom to an Older Outdoor Tortoise

Trishyha

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hello. I’m Trish. I live in San Diego. I just acquired a big tortoise from my dad, who lives in Los Angeles; more specifically the San Fernando Valley. Roughly 11 years ago she adopted him and lived in his garage. He recently had to move to an apartment and I agreed to adopt Toruga (her name).

What I know about her:
She understands English and Spanish, her name, what her favorite foods are and what he feed her. I believe she’s a desert tortoise but I want to make sure. My dad thinks she’s roughly 30-35 yrs old.

What I need help with is, she lived in my dad’s garage. I don’t have a garage. My uncle who used to have a tortoise (Florence) lived in a dog house. So I bought a really nice dog house for her. Will this be suitable?
I have a nice size backyard. So she could roam. However I was told they dig and they dig deep. I’m now trying to tortoise proof my yard. Any suggestions?
The pictures I attached are of her in my dad’s garage, the house I got her, and the part of my yard I’d like to place her.

I’m so grateful to have stumbled across this website.

56834373600__0460D444-B762-4730-AD33-3604C6ED4969.jpgIMG_1548179740.625517.jpgIMG_1548179760.118304.jpgIMG_1548179780.938645.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello. I’m Trish. I live in San Diego. I just acquired a big tortoise from my dad, who lives in Los Angeles; more specifically the San Fernando Valley. Roughly 11 years ago she adopted him and lived in his garage. He recently had to move to an apartment and I agreed to adopt Toruga (her name).

What I know about her:
She understands English and Spanish, her name, what her favorite foods are and what he feed her. I believe she’s a desert tortoise but I want to make sure. My dad thinks she’s roughly 30-35 yrs old.

What I need help with is, she lived in my dad’s garage. I don’t have a garage. My uncle who used to have a tortoise (Florence) lived in a dog house. So I bought a really nice dog house for her. Will this be suitable?
I have a nice size backyard. So she could roam. However I was told they dig and they dig deep. I’m now trying to tortoise proof my yard. Any suggestions?
The pictures I attached are of her in my dad’s garage, the house I got her, and the part of my yard I’d like to place her.

I’m so grateful to have stumbled across this website.

View attachment 262913View attachment 262914View attachment 262915View attachment 262917

Great looking tort...from the back :)

Just keep in mind that the tort will be out of sorts when you place in the new space....he will be a little stressed and just be sure you walk the perimeter of the yard BEFORE you let the tortoise loose...I would also suggest release be a day when you are able to be home and are prepared to tortoise watch to see its points of interest and what hazards the tortoise will find....Is that an orange tree in the space? You will likely find that the dog house is a nice gesture on your part....but that tortoise will likely locate its own fav place...the garage served as a cool dry place and likely the tort will try to find "its garage" in the new space.....under the shed under the porch concrete foundation--those are a couple places I would suspect from looking at your pics....

Was the tortoise brumating (winter sleep) when you took it in? What is the tortoise doing now (activity/awake/asleep?)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I actually found Tortoise Forum accidentally also. I'm so glad I did. Between the experience of your dad and the info on Tortoise Forum, you have the best of both worlds. Best wishes.

Trishyha

San Diego

Just keep in mind that the tort will be out of sorts when you place in the new space....he will be a little stressed and just be sure you walk the perimeter of the yard BEFORE you let the tortoise loose...I would also suggest release be a day when you are able to be home and are prepared to tortoise watch to see its points of interest and what hazards the tortoise will find....Is that an orange tree in the space? You will likely find that the dog house is a nice gesture on your part....but that tortoise will likely locate its own fav place...the garage served as a cool dry place and likely the tort will try to find "its garage" in the new space.....under the shed under the porch concrete foundation--those are a couple places I would suspect from looking at your pics....

Was the tortoise brumating (winter sleep) when you took it in? What is the tortoise doing now (activity/awake/asleep?)

I’m preparing myself for her shock of new environment/people/dogs etc. She is hibernating. She’s still asleep. I currently have her in my laundry room (where it’s really cool) in a box with news paper. I check on her several times a day. She seems to be doing fine.

Trishyha

San Diego

Oh and by the way, the tree is a pomelo tree (Chinese grapefruit).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I’m preparing myself for her shock of new environment/people/dogs etc. She is hibernating. She’s still asleep. I currently have her in my laundry room (where it’s really cool) in a box with news paper. I check on her several times a day. She seems to be doing fine.

lol...I would suggest, if you are not already doing so, not physically disturbing her each time you check on her...and I would also keep her location (box, tote, etc) as dark as possible but not constricting of air flow. Good deal.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Welcome! What a great blessing your dad has given you.
I don’t have a desert tortoise so not any help with that. I did see that you mentioned dogs. The dogs should not have access to the tortoise. Even the most gentle and trusted dog can suddenly see a tortoise as a chew toy.

Trishyha

San Diego
lol...I would suggest, if you are not already doing so, not physically disturbing her each time you check on her...and I would also keep her location (box, tote, etc) as dark as possible but not constricting of air flow. Good deal.

Yes I just peek in. I have the box covered with a towel to keep it dark. I just think “I wouldn’t want anyone waking me up so I try to be respectful. Thank you.

Trishyha

San Diego
Welcome! What a great blessing your dad has given you.
I don’t have a desert tortoise so not any help with that. I did see that you mentioned dogs. The dogs should not have access to the tortoise. Even the most gentle and trusted dog can suddenly see a tortoise as a chew toy.

They are small old dogs. Chihuahua mixes. My dad had 6 dogs one being a big Shepard rot mix. She’s use to dog. They just looked forward to eating her poop. Gross.
I do realize that my dogs don’t know her or what she is. I’m taking LOTS of caution.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I'm glad I don't have dogs, one thing I don't have to worry about my tort. I have indoor cats and strays that visit my yard and ALL of them are very curious about Ariza but are also afraid of her and move away if she heads toward them. It's funny! Your tort will probably want to sleep under your shed unless you make it a burrow. I made mine two burrows, one facing north and one facing south. They're made with cinder blocks and a plywood on top and topped with dirt and dry weeds. I thought she was brumating in her north burrow, and just saw her today browsing and had come out of south burrow. She has the whole yard to herself and does whatever she wants, and I hope she's happy. Good luck with your Toruga, glad you found this forum with lots of info and helpful tort guardians.

Trishyha

San Diego
Just wondering how things are going with you, family, and turdess. Hopefully everyone's wonderful.

Hello. I’m learning so much. Fortunately, because she’s brumating I have time to tortoise proof my yard. Also, here in San Diego we have a tortoise society. So I will be able to perhap meet people who can help me.
Thank you for checking in with me. I really appreciate it. I feel like a new mom all over again. It’s a bit overwhelming.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor tortoise. When she wakes up and you allow her to go outside, she'll probably think she's died and gone to heaven. I can't imagine her living in the garage all this time. Your dog house will do nicely. You can add a bunch of leaves inside for her to burrow into.

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you and your new desert tortoise as part of our group.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello. I’m learning so much. Fortunately, because she’s brumating I have time to tortoise proof my yard. Also, here in San Diego we have a tortoise society. So I will be able to perhap meet people who can help me.
Thank you for checking in with me. I really appreciate it. I feel like a new mom all over again. It’s a bit overwhelming.
Yes it is overwhelming. I've been at it for almost 12 years and still learning. One thing I have witnessed though is the new pet stores in our town go to tortoise forum for answers. It's a great big plus that you also have a tortoise society close. The reason there's a lot of conflicting info is because everyone has different experiences with their tortoise. The tortoises all have their own personality. Every home is different but eventually you can boil all the info down to a semi routine. With room for change if there's new knowledge.