Venus Fly Trap?????

TerrapinStation

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Michigan
Anyone know if a Venus Fly Trap is safe for a Redfoot enclosure? it is in a buried, stable pot, and well above eating level.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I would err on the side of caution and definitely keep it out of reach. I love carnivorous plants and keep several in my enclosure to help with flying insects. However, they're all hanging up away from rambunctious tortoises. And I'd attempt to not have the plant eaten down, in any case, if it's there for a purpose.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hmm good to know..... I have been using filtered tap water. Will try to use rain water!
I killed 2 Venus fly trap plants(yeah yea yeah, I can hear you all shouting "HEY YOU GUYS". Insinuating I am as stupid as sloff from Goonies). Anyway I went to a reptile show about a month ago, there was a stand there selling all sorts of wierd carnivorous plants. We bought a Sarracenia and a Drosera, as I paid the lady said."make sure you only water with rain water or you will kill them". I couldnt ask any questions because to say she was busy would be an understatement.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They sound awful delicate just like prima donnas.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
VFTs are not safe.
They must be in direct sun, they need pure water (as in rain water or distilled), and they need a cold dormant period in winter.
I find Cape sundews a better choice for gnat control.
I watched a David Attenborough doc yesterday on kew gardens. The cape sundew was in that. Amazing plant. Very brutal to its pray. Is this plant safe near Tortoise or must it be kept out of reach?

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I wouldn't want any animal to make a steady habit of eating sundews, but they're not dangerously toxic.

ArcT

Has anyone actually tried sundews in their tanks?

I am curious as i grow various CPs and have been thinking of dropping one on top of my new hide way out of reach of my little guy.

Those things grow like weeds and should have no problem under a light with moss and distilled water.