Vandalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Every time a clean out Nova's water and refresh it she goes and soaks in it but once she is done she starts digging right next to it and makes the water all muddy!! She sleeps there for a while and then moves back to her regular spot. Is she just being a rebel or is there some logic behind this behavior?

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
This is what it looks like
002.JPG

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
She maybe just like the humid damp soil there. Do you keep her hide real humid with damp moss? My Sid only has dug once and that was when the humidity got low in the enclosure.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My Cherries never do this Marty, but my boxies always dig under the water dish. Today I had to clean the dish 4 times, and now as I'm typing I see she is under the dish, water is gone, and the dish is up on the side of the tank. I only know that it's cool and wet under there, and the boxies love to dig in the wet soil.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Nova's ideas about interior decorating are vastly different from yours ;)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Probably totally unrelated, but mine seem to make it a point to muddy their water as well. They go out of their way to track through it. *shrug* silly torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well, if your not going to make them a mud bath wallow, they are just going to make their own! :p :D :tort:

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think my tort loves to dig under the water dish because he likes something solid above his head for his burrow (makes him feel safe). I have tried to replicate this with different types of hides, but he kept going back. It was annoying us so much we put a brick and rocks next to the dish so he couldn't do this! He was scratching his shell (and the paint off the dish) by doing this, in addition to the noise (his bedtime burrow digging time is our evening tv time). It seems like a lot of tort behaviors are just to annoy us humans, but I think there is logic behind all of them (although we may not be able to figure it out). Another thought besides the humidity thing...since you said your redfoot is a rarer burrower.

Status
Not open for further replies.