Vacationing for the weekend

Turtlegal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chandler, Arizona
I am going on vacation for the weekend to my family's house about two hours away. My mom has the two siblings of my two babies (about 8 months old) and I am wondering if it would be ok to house them in the same enclosure for the weekend? Am I better off having someone come over and feed them while I am gone? I would prefer to bring them with me so I can keep an eye on them. Any suggestions? Thanks! :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! It should be okay, but expect there could be some bullying going on, so be ready to move yours back into their own travel box if that happens. They should all have the same diseases (if any) since they once lived together... unless there could be other tortoises around? Ideal is always to have them stay home, but I can understand wanting them with you and two hours should not make a large amount of stress (if any) on them. Just be sure to keep them safe, warm and draft free in the car.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum! It will probably be ok, but be on the look out for bullying. Since your tortoise has been away from the other two for a while, they may try to chase him out of their territory.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If they are a "well established" and "growing" 8 months old I think it may be ok to leave alot of extra food and just leave them at home for the weekend. But if you think they aren't necessarily rock solid I would take them with you and just monitor them as much as possible. I don't think bullying should occur at that age to the point of concern. Especially in that short of time. Most young "bully" tortoises won't bully immediately, but older bully tortoises will. Either way if your tortoises are healthy now they should do just fine. Best of luck to you

Turtlegal

5 Year Member
Chandler, Arizona
Jacqui said:
Hi! It should be okay, but expect there could be some bullying going on, so be ready to move yours back into their own travel box if that happens. They should all have the same diseases (if any) since they once lived together... unless there could be other tortoises around? Ideal is always to have them stay home, but I can understand wanting them with you and two hours should not make a large amount of stress (if any) on them. Just be sure to keep them safe, warm and draft free in the car.

Thanks so much!! I was mostly concerned about any stress from changing environments. Her enclosure is huge so I'm hoping there won't be much bullying. I will keep a sharp eye out for it though.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Only one post we want to know about their trip , how their trip was , were they happy to see their sisters and / or brothers . Have a great trip and good luck .

Turtlegal

5 Year Member
Chandler, Arizona
Thanks so much everyone! If I decide to bring them, I will let you know how it goes. I was mostly concerned about the stress from changing to a new environment. Are they pretty adaptable to new things? I will keep a sharp eye out for any bullying! Her enclosure is huge though, so I am hoping none of that will take place.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I travel and share the same guest lodging with mine all the time and they are fine. But if you are only gone for the weekend I would suggest feeding them well right before you leave and then a good soak and meal when you return. Unless you really just want to see all of them together. They should be fine but as stated, get ready to put them back in their travel lodging if you see some bully behavior. I personally have never seen any from mine but you never know and better safe than sorry.