Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casseylane

5 Year Member
What does everyone do with the torts when they have to leave for a couple, or a few days. For vacation, or an unexpected trip... Specifically for a tort under 12 months.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I am going to be gone for two whole days, four days total, day i leave, two days done, then day i return, I don't get a sitter. Everything is on a timer and I give enough food that should last and i make sure their water is full. If it doesn't last it's not a big deal. Longer then that, I get a sitter. Now, that said. I do live I a three flat building that I own. So if we were to lose power or heat, we would get a call from one of our renters and we would then send someone to go fix and check things.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I'm leaving my babies for 5 days next month! :(. My husband will be home but I know he won't take care of them. I am having my friend that has a Sulcata and 3 desert torts watch them for me. She is a say at home mom like me so I know she will be able to check for anyone that is flipped over several times a day. I will also be leaving her detailed instructions...I do things differently than she did (cause I have Tom's threads).

Now, I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats....didn't make any plans at all for them yet....;)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
For me , it depends on the individual tort. If the tort is so young that there's a hazard of it flipping and not righting itself, then I either get a sitter or bring the tort with me. The tort needs someone to check on it several times a day.

If flipping is not a concern, then I'm comfortable leaving my torts up to a week alone. They all have thermal-regulated shelters within their pens and sufficient food.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
mctlong said:
For me , it depends on the individual tort. If the tort is so young that there's a hazard of it flipping and not righting itself, then I either get a sitter or bring the tort with me. The tort needs someone to check on it several times a day.

If flipping is not a concern, then I'm comfortable leaving my torts up to a week alone. They all have thermal-regulated shelters within their pens and sufficient food.

Haha! I honestly was thinking how I could sneak in everything and them into the resort! Still have a couple weeks before we go....so I may have to take them with me so I don't have withdrawal! But then I won't want to leave my room! Kids would get pretty bored I think!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Usually I have either my son take care of them and/or my neighbor lady. Something short like over night they are fine by themselves. Some times I have taken the animal with me, depending on things like if I have a specif health concern where I think it needs my care. I have detailed instructions made out and if it is a planned leaving, I often make and freeze premade meals or additions to their meals for some of them.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
If we're only going to be gone for a couple days, we leave the tortoises alone - they can go for two days without eating just fine. Actually, tortoises can go much longer without food, but that's probably uncomfortable for them. So, if we're going to be gone for 3 days or longer, we either take them to someone else's house, or else hire a pet sitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.