Vacation Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
I am planning on going on vacation in a few weeks. I'll be gone for 7 days. I can't take my little ones with me, so I needed to find a sitter and a comfy and safe home for them. My in-laws have agreed to care for them so I know they will be looked after well.
I made these 2 rubbermaid homes for them.
I have 3 russians, 1 tote is for Wally, I keep him seperate because he is a big bully. The other 2 will bunk together.

I put these together 2 weekends ago, I used the kids halloween buckets for hides and some dirt hills where they can climb on top of the bucket for a second story, I also added some flat stones for basking.
Once completed I sealed the tops. I just opened them up today and one has some weeds growing in it, how lucky!!
I think my human kiddo dropped some birdseed in it when we were putting them together, that's the only thing I can think of of why this happened in one and not the other. I am going to try to plant some weeds in the other one and hope for the best. My guys are used to living outdoors so I want it to be as homey as can be. Ideas and feedback are appreciated!

Attachments

• transport1.jpg
    transport1.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 143
  • transport2.jpg
    transport2.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 114
  • transport3.jpg
    transport3.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 105
  • transport4.jpg
    transport4.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 113
  • transport5.jpg
    transport5.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 108

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Since you're only gone 7 days, I'd say you've went to pretty good measures to make your torts feel as homely as possible. Looks good!

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
lol...yeah I am a little crazy about these guys. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks good to me. Just for your own piece of mind. Make out a written to do list for them. That way they don't have to remember what and when. They will feel better about it and so will you.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
wellington said:
Looks good to me. Just for your own piece of mind. Make out a written to do list for them. That way they don't have to remember what and when. They will feel better about it and so will you.

Yes, I was wrestling with making one. I didn't want them to think I am over obsessive but I think they know me pretty well by now...:p
At least now I can say it was your idea. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
SpdTrtl said:
wellington said:

Yes, I was wrestling with making one. I didn't want them to think I am over obsessive but I think they know me pretty well by now...:p
At least now I can say it was your idea. :D

Sure, blame me:p I do it every time. Did it with my son too when he was young. To me, it makes no one having to guess. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like your on top of everything. Will have to keep this in mind for whenever I go on vacation.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Getting closer to the date.
Taking Wellingtons advice I made this care sheet, I tried to keep it at one page...let me know if I am missing anything really important.

Attachments

• Tortoise Care Sheet.pdf
    213.7 KB · Views: 22

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That looks very thorough. It is a good idea to keep the feeding options simple for anyone caring for your tortoise.

Since you will only be gone a week, would it be a safer idea to avoid having them take the tortoises outside? We all know how easy it is to lose sight of them and you all would be devastated if one was lost forever. Won't hurt them to stay inside for a week.
Or perhaps at most take one tortoise out at a time each day and watch it CONTINUOUSLY!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Make a third enclosure. If you take tortoises that are used to living outside and put two of them in a little tub, they are very likely to fight, even thought they might not normally fight out in their usual enclosure. You might find that the big bully is also the peacekeeper, and his removal will create another big bully. There's just no reason to risk it. Imagine how big of a problem it would be if russians do what russians normally do, and your in-laws have to try to figure out what to do with them before they tear each other apart.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what I was going to say too, Lynnedit. I don't think letting them go outside is a good idea...and staying indoors for a week isn't going to hurt them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with the above too. Keep them in their enclosures.

Also, I would skip the soaking. Its just an added hassle and one more thing that could go wrong. They would be perfectly fine for a whole month with NO water at all. If they have drinking saucers in their enclosure, that will be enough to get them through until you get home.

HEY! Have a fun trip!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'll agree with the keep it simple theory. I went on vacation for a week and had a relative look after my Russians. The weather was in the high 50's at night so my relative left their basking light on all night to keep them warm. It took about 3 days for them to adjust after getting them back home.

But no real harm done. Next time I'll leave more detailed instructions including what not to do. :)

Have a great vacation; you're really going to miss those torts. :)

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Oh I didn't think about the little ones fighting since they are always together. Sigh well I hope they last the week okay.. :-/
I dropped them off this afternoon. I will give them a call in the morning and have them skip the frolic in the yard. It's most likely for the best. I am already freaking out about them I am so used to checking on them at night before I go to.bed. :(

Sent from my HTC One V using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.