uvb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal,Quebec
I have a question on the use of UVB lighting,,I have been using a UVA in combination with a regular 40 watt bulb and have maintained a nice daytime and nighttime temp for my 7 week old box turtle. I was told that he must have a 5.0 UVB as well. I am confused now, I don't know where to put the UVB light..is this a heat source as well? I am afraid of changing things since things have been going great so far with humidity and heat ect...For a pretty damn expensive bulb,i want to know if it's completely necessary. I soak him a few times a week in the sunshine(through a window) hoping he absorbs some natural sun. Please let me know,I'm racking my brain thinking of how to accomplish having 3 different light sets over my tank. It's only 20 gallon,as he is just a teeny baby. Thanks In advance!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Beeliz said:
I have a question on the use of UVB lighting,,I have been using a UVA in combination with a regular 40 watt bulb and have maintained a nice daytime and nighttime temp for my 7 week old box turtle. I was told that he must have a 5.0 UVB as well. I am confused now, I don't know where to put the UVB light..is this a heat source as well? I am afraid of changing things since things have been going great so far with humidity and heat ect...For a pretty damn expensive bulb,i want to know if it's completely necessary. I soak him a few times a week in the sunshine(through a window) hoping he absorbs some natural sun. Please let me know,I'm racking my brain thinking of how to accomplish having 3 different light sets over my tank. It's only 20 gallon,as he is just a teeny baby. Thanks In advance!

Your tort definitely needs a UVB light to be healthy. 5% is about right, according to my vet. Get a UVB tube (provides UVA too); it is not a heat source.

Your tort also needs a proper basking lamp. This should be a spot light (around 100W) or ceramic lamp (which does not give out light). A conventional bulb is not right for basking. The basking light provides a 'hot spot' of around 35C while the rest of your enclosure is cooler enabling your tortoise to move between areas and maintain the correct body temperature.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
ok,the basking light I have is at about 85-90 degrees,,it's a regular bulb in a ceramic holder. So I assume I can take out the regular bulb,put in the other heat light I have (which is UVA) and put the UVB in the place of that one?? I'll see what I come up with.. :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You could leave the UVA light in place, but it will just run up your electricity bill. The UVB tube does not provide heat, so with a higher powered spot lamp or ceramic emitter provides the additional and your regular bulb goes too.

The heat and light explanation in the General Rules section of this leaflet is really helpful http://www.tortoisetrust.org/Downloads/Taking_care_of_pet_tortoises_web.pdf

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I just commented on this in another thread...the best source of UV you can use is a Mercury Vapor Bulb. They are complete...providing full spectrum UV and heat. Don't be misled into using flourescent light...tube or bulb...it doesn't matter. They don't help anything. They're just for those who are too cheap to provide their animal(s) with what they need. Of course, there is no substitute for natural sunlight;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Libby, I think you are fine with your set up the way it is. Baby boxies like it a little dimmer and they like to hide a lot. They also get D3 from their more "meaty" diet too. If the diet is good and you are using a calcium supplement with D3 in it, I think you will be fine until Spring rolls around and you can get him outside for real sunshine. Pet stores are full of misinformation AND sometimes even people who know what they are talking about just disagree. I would go to the box turtle section of the forum and read some posts from keepers that have had lots of them. Then PM them with your specific questions. No disrespect to anyone else, but Terry O is a good place to start. She has always impressed me with her box turtle prowess. :) Also check out Yvonne, Maggie, Jacqui, Kristina, Kimber-lee,... anyone else. Sorry if I'm forgetting anyone.

By the way. Your glass window filters out all of the usable UV and be careful that this doesn't over heat your little guy while soaking. I know of a competent keeper who recently lost three babies by accidentally leaving them in an area where sunshine came through a window and over heated them. Just a word of caution. Watch those temps. Especially critical with a little baby.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
ok,,so If I use a UVB in one fixture and then a UVA 40 watt light for basking in the ceramic encasement,,is this sufficient??
(I don't need an extra heat source?) the temp was 85 today with that combined.

also,,sorry to be a pest,,but I hear so many different thoughts on calcium with D3 and using a uVB light,,is the calcium with d3 a must when they get a uvb daytime light?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You don't need the UVA bulb. UVA helps with behaviors, but UVB bulbs provide plenty of UVA automatically. UVA bulbs are basically worthless but often purchased because they say UV and are cheaper than the better bulbs.

UBV and vitamin D is a little tricky. To be healthy, your tortoise NEEDS vitamin D. It will get some from the diet (oily fish, UV-exposed mushrooms- not store bought- and organ meats), and the rest from good exposure to natural sunlight.

UVB bulbs emit SOME good UVb, but it is tough to measure the actual dosages. Offering a SMALL amount of supplemental vitamin D in vitamins or calcium is almost certainly not a problem and may help ensure proper dosing until you can get them outside.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I agree with Madkins... UVA helps behavior... As reptiles can actually see UVA rays..(theory is it helps them see sharper and brighter colors)... And any UVB bulb will put out plenty of UVA...

If you want the best setup... Again this is just my thoughts... A uvreptile 60 watt low UVB zoological bulb and ballast.. (no heat, lots of UVB and UVA ) and a separate heating fixture like a CHE (that way you can leave it on 24/7 if you need the heat). So the animal can regulate its needs between UV exposure and basking needs..

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
Ok,,I'm now clear on it,,That's awesome information from everyone! Thank you!! I guess I was most uncertain on the uva and uvb,now it makes sense that the uva is worthless,, awesome,thank you all!

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Uvb from sun can't go through window (glasses), they will be filtered..

So u need one I think, but if u can place ur tort to have basking time in the morning, u don't need it..

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
evlinLoutries said:
Uvb from sun can't go through window (glasses), they will be filtered..

So u need one I think, but if u can place ur tort to have basking time in the morning, u don't need it..

I agree. If your boxie can get at least 5-6 hours of direct sunlight a week then you can omit the UVB bulb.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
well right now winter is almost here and it's too cold to place him outdoors!! So I soak him in his enclosure,under the UVB light for 30 mins a day..in the warmer weather I will definitely be taking him outside for real sun, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.