UVB?

DARKFIRE007

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham Alabama
I would think that is fine for sun...I would toss in a log hide to be safe, plants won't always provide a good enough hiding spot.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
How long and how many times should I take her out very minimum?

An hour a day, very minimum? It's up to you! I don't really see any negatives bringing your little gal outside, as long as the weather is pleasant and you are providing the proper food, hides, water, etc. In the summer, I try to let my tortoise out as much as possible, considering in a couple months, it will be cold and snowy...

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
An hour a day, very minimum? It's up to you! I don't really see any negatives bringing your little gal outside, as long as the weather is pleasant and you are providing the proper food, hides, water, etc. In the summer, I try to let my tortoise out as much as possible, considering in a couple months, it will be cold and snowy...
I just don't want to think I am doing good, but find out that I am failing her! So I defiantly plan on doing at least double the minimum!!!!

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
The only real concerns are the weather, you seem to have it fairly predator proof and you know to add a hide. Very hot weather like over 100 or 90s with suffocating humidity isn't something I would leave them in all day, may a few hours. Rain is alright if the temps are over say 70 or 75, just stay away from cool temps and rain. And I would bring them in if it dips below like 65 degrees. They can likely handle temps outside of what I listed but I like to be cautious.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
The only real concerns are the weather, you seem to have it fairly predator proof and you know to add a hide. Very hot weather like over 100 or 90s with suffocating humidity isn't something I would leave them in all day, may a few hours. Rain is alright if the temps are over say 70 or 75, just stay away from cool temps and rain. And I would bring them in if it dips below like 65 degrees. They can likely handle temps outside of what I listed but I like to be cautious.
Will she be ok for like 8 hours (weather permitting)? I know minimum space is 32sq ft... like for a full day I guess is the question

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Will she be ok for like 8 hours (weather permitting)? I know minimum space is 32sq ft... like for a full day I guess is the question

Yes, she will be fine! As @DARKFIRE007 said, tortoises shouldn't be in extreme heat / cold. Thus, make sure to check the extended weather that day before you leave him out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That enclosure is way too small. Four of those enclosures together would still be on the small side for a russian that size. You need something much bigger and summertime temps require more shade.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
That enclosure is way too small. Four of those enclosures together would still be on the small side for a russian that size. You need something much bigger and summertime temps require more shade.
Will this size work for an hour or 2 to get some sunshine?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will this size work for an hour or 2 to get some sunshine?
It is not what I would do, but I don't think it will be instantly fatal or anything, as long as the tortoise can get to a cooler area out of the sun.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Tom is right about the size, in your case the indoor enclosure needs to be 4x8 feet since that is the primary enclosure. That one is fine for just sunbathing as long as you provide the hide/shade we mentioned.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Yep! She will only spend about an hour a day in her outside enclosure to get some real sunshine. She does have a UVB light in her enclosure but she doesn't go near it..
Lol I guess I was more curious if she could still get uvb if she was hiding inside her fern? Or is she absorbs uvb through her shell?

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV

And in ‘bama, you KNOW humidity!