UVB

kaitiejane

Also, I've been looking for a new uvb light, I already have a heat light. So I'm looking mainly for just uvb. Can anyone post links to good uvb lights

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
UVB florescent lighting is reliable and generally inexpensive. What are your enclosures diameters. For example, on my 24" x 24" x 10" baby enclosure I have an 18" fixture with a 5.0 UVB.

kaitiejane

UVB. Will my tortoise be okay with out one on for a few days until I can get a new one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The two best options are a mercury vapor bulb which gives you heat, light and UV all in one, or one of the florescent tube types. To pick a florescent tube for you, we'd need to know how far away from the tortoise you intend to mount the bulb and what species you will be using this over.

kaitiejane

It would be 12in away from the tortoise. I have a 3 month old Ibera Greek tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It would be 12in away from the tortoise. I have a 3 month old Ibera Greek tortoise.

You could use a 10.0 tube. I would get one that is near the same length as your enclosure and put it on the same timer that runs your basking lamp. These don't make a lot of UV so its fine to use it all day. Be sure your tortoise has plenty of hides so he/she can get out of the "sun" when needed.

kaitiejane

Would he be okay for a few days with out uvb. I can't get a new on until Friday